Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

strange find in a bag of lump

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went outside this morning to fire up the egg & needed a new bag of lump. I keep my lump stash in the garage loft, & I use an extended paint roller as my ‘bag getter down’ tool – just work the end of the roller into the corner of the bag & jiggle it until the bag falls from the loft, then toss the stick & catch the bag before it hits the ground all in one fluid motion. See first photo:

006.jpg

When done correctly, it’s a thing of beauty. Now & then one gets away from me & either bonks me on the head or directly hits the floor, usually breaking open... Today’s bag hit the floor & when I looked down at it I noticed that it had in fact popped open. No biggie, but with a big hole in the middle of the bag, I’d have to transfer it into a lump storage bin, so I carefully lifted it up so not to make a mess & went outside & put it on the egg table. Got the bin, opened it up on the ground next to the table & proceeded to tear a larger hole in the bag for easy lump dumping. To my shock, I see a bottle of ammonia in the bag :ohmy: .

004.jpg

Thinking holy shi! I’ve seen some strange things in lump but this is f’d up beyond explanation. Nevertheless, I picked up the bag & turned it upside down to dump it into the bin & that’s when I see the bottom of the bottle sticking out of the other side of the bag, took me a couple of seconds to realize what had happened. I put it back on the table to get the picture. And yes, this actually escaped my attention in real time :huh: :

005.jpg

For those that recall the death battle for control of the hut I was engaged in over the summer with a swarm of cicada killers, it had completely escaped me that this left over bottle of ammonia was on the floor of the garage in the exact spot the bag of lump fell, & it had jammed itself all up in there so tightly that it didn’t fall out when I carried the bag out.

007.jpg

Is there a dumbass of the month pin someone can send me?
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    :laugh: if there isn't a pin yet.... here is your sign that you would qualify for it! :whistle:
  • Smokin' not stirred
    Options
    hehhehheh. Funny stuff.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Zippy, I currently have one of the DumbA pins but haven't been cleared to pass it on yet. :) Mike
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Pure black magic, Marc :ohmy:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    hahahaha that's sh!t that happens to me! Glad to know I'm not alone. B)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    hehehehe

Some people have all the luck. Me, the bag would fall, hit the bottle (bottle being full), bottle break open soaking all the lump, choking me, spreading liquefied ash/soot all over the floor, floor being wood would soak in. I would have to toss the bottle, lump and spend a lot of time cleaning the whole mess up.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Sweetheart, I sent you that pin long before this minor incident. You have been so deeply qualified by many other adventures and creations.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Betcha couldn't do that again in a hundred tries.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Options
    I want to see the trick where you get the bags up to the loft, using the paint roller.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Hate to chill your buzz but most rafters are not deigned to carry ANY additional weight besides the roof itself, some insulation, and drywall. Now your situation might be different with proper modifications being made to handle the additional weight. Wood is also a terrible structural material due to its wide range of variability. Almost all structural wood rafters are made with structural timber harvested from old growth forests in the NW. Lumber yard wood is NOT suitable for wooden rafters.

Carry on...
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I hate to kill your buzz but the 200 pounds of lump you see in that little corner is the lightest thing that resides up there and has so for the past 12 years I’ve lived here. Miraculously, all without ill effect. So sleep well, neither the sky nor my garage roof is falling. When I receive the pin, I shall forward it on to you forthwith.

Carry on...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    www.nametagcountry.com
    It'll cost about $8 which includes shipping.
    It can be a traveling "trophy".
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Rafters are also sized to carry about 35 to 45 pounds per square foot of wet snow

if his rafters are per code, even the lowest grade wood will carry a substantial load. I agreethat most big box lumber is crap, but if it is to code, there is t a wood roof in the world that is only carrying its own weight
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I know more than a few truss designers and manufacturers that would disagree with you on this.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Depends on the area of the country. They are designed for local codes according to historic snow conditions. None are over designed unless you specifically order for the increased anticipated loading.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    So no safety factors then? That's not quite correct

I'm betting inhave more houses to my credit than you might, but you never know.

At any rate, the bags in his pic are either on the collar ties or some half assed joists. Since collarties only need to be every othe bay, and he has them in every bay, that there would be overdesign

If they are on unfinished ceiling joists, then the rafters aren't holding any of it anyway
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    that ain't nothing but FUNNY.

lol....that would've freaked me out also. :ohmy:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Oh man, I am soooo screwed!! I have HUNDREDS of pounds of crap on the ceiling joists in my garage!! Kid's toys, camping equipment, Christmas decorations, car parts, lumber, plywood - who knows what all is up there! Whatever it is, it's been there since 1978 when I bought the house. Garage is 24x24' and the 2x8 joists are 4' OC!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Oh, you are gonna get a bitchin' snowfall and yer going down. Sorry man.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Oh well. :blink:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Almost forgot... Zip, this is for you.............. :laugh:

dumbass_award.jpg

If my garage collapses, I'll be wanting it back. :whistle:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    LOL, i thought that this was shipped in the bag! Glad that it hadnt. that is crazy! :)