Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Wings - Direct or Indirect?

friscotex
friscotex Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Am planning to cook up some wings using the Dizzy Pig method. Doing a little research on the forum indicates some do direct, some do indirect. While that's no real surprise and everybody has their own method, I'm interested in any suggestions ... direct vs indirect and what time/temp do you typically use.

Comments

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I cook mine raised direct at 400. I have done them indirect, but I like the crisper skin when doing direct.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I do direct and high on an adj rig. If no adj rig, just get high in the dome....
    Are you coming to Plano next week? I will be in Frisco with my daughter for the Plano event - good fun..
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• agree on the direct on raised grid.... if no raised grid.... indirect does fine too.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Mickey wrote:
    I do direct and high on an adj rig. If no adj rig, just get high in the dome....
    Are you coming to Plano next week? I will be in Frisco with my daughter for the Plano event - good fun..

i do this too. direct and high on an adj. rig at about 275 and i like my skin crisp, so i let them go about two and a half hours.
  • Want to go to the Plano Outlaw Fest, but will be flying back in from CA early Sat afternoon. How long does that shin-dig typically last? If I don't get there until 4pm, will I have missed everything?
  • I go 250 direct raised until sauce time (starts around the hour and a half mark). I sauce using a silicon brush rather than tossing in a bowl. I sauce one side at a time and bump up the temp a little (275 - 300 range). Flip every 10 - 15 mins and reapply sauce until you are happy.

Fat is usually rendered out making them feel fried, but so much better because of the added flavor of the smoke. Do this a few times and you won't want to go back to a wing joint for the fried type.

Also, tried whole grain flour the last time to boost fiber a little. It definitely added to the crunch, but needs a little something extra to mask the wheat flavor. Will keep working on it though bc tinkering is half the fun.
  • Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    I always do direct. They come out crisper that way. Cook until done, then shake with Franks Red Hot sauce. You will never go wrong with Franks.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    I like raised grid and indirect. 375-400° about 1.5 hrs. Only need to flip once, and sometimes no flip at all. Plenty crispy skin. Franks hot sauce mixed with butter and honey, after cooking.