Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Practice

Options
Eggcellent
Eggcellent Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my Egg since the spring so this will be my first Thanksgiving cooking a bird. I need all the help and advice this group can offer. Recipes, smoke time and temp, pecan vs other woods, links. I will be doing a practice cook sometime soon on just a breast.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Suggest typing in "cook turkey" into forum search, and you will get an afternoon's worth of reading material. Most use the Mad Max method (described in search results), which I have not tried, but is loved by all on forum. I have tried the smoked and brine/smoke route, with less than good results. Turkey is tough to not oversmoke, as I learned....twice :pinch: :unsure: :sick: .

Good luck.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like spatchcocked.
    Direct - high in the dome on adj rig.
    Cook at 350/400 skin up and never turn. Like the smaller 14 lb birds. Leave uncovered in fridge overnight and put rub on a hour or two before grilling.
    Have done this for several years:
    Kona hard to find, use expresso ground fine instant.
    Rub, Kona Coffee, Hungry Man
    INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup ancho-chili powder
    1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Kona coffee
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    1/4 cup ground black pepper
    Procedure:
    1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Mickey,

How does a 14 lb'er do for internal termps when spatchcocked? I have gone to quartering chix, to allow me to pull breasts prior to dark (I like breasts moist, and family wont eat dark until completely done). I would think the time differential between dark and white would be greater on a larger bird cooked whole. Just curious.

While not a fan of smoked chicken, or even roasted turkey for that matter, chicken cooked direct on the egg is my favorite cook, hands down. Marginal spices, no sauce, just lump charcoal goodness. I could eat it three or four times a week....

Edit....meant to add, your rub recipe looks awesome!!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have not had a problem, have noticed Frank will cut so that he can pull early if needed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Pilcher Man
    Options
    I cooked two 14 lb turkeys at the same time last year and for a first time attempt, they turned out near perfect. I was immediately elected to cook the turkeys at Thanksgiving for life. I used two SS wire upright stands (BGE dealer)and faced the turkeys toward each other. 250 degrees for about four hrs. or until done. Good luck.