Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky

Options
hotgrillharry
hotgrillharry Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What's the consensus for time and temperature for beef jerky? Platesetter or direct?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01463a.jpg

Use some sort of indirect set-up, direct cooking would be harder to control. Go a low as you can go, for as long as it takes to get the doneness you want. Jerky is a combination of cooking and drying, so depending on the thickness of your pieces... the time will be a big variable. I actually sample a piece or two from each batch during the smoking.

I like the thicker jerky (above) compared to the thin slices (below), but try some of each to see what you like. Also if you slice your meat with the grain it will be more traditional (chewy), and if you slice against the grain, it will be more tender. Be sure and chill your meat in the freezer until it's just icy before slicing.

I use a cure on mine, but still plan on storing in the fridge, as my cure is not a preservation cure (like some of the store-bought jerky) and I don't like mine as dried as many of the store-bought products.

DSC01674a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • hotgrillharry
    Options
    Great stuff--thanks!!