Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak, Guinness and Cheese Pie

Options
Ross in Ventura
Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wasn't going to post this because I used Filo dough instead of puff pastry, but it was so good I had to.
DSC_0002-40.jpg

DSC_0014-30.jpg
Fired up the Egg with platesetter legs up 2 hrs. before the cook @350*. DO with all the fixings .
DSC_0015-20.jpg
Cooked for 2.5 hrs. with the lid off until the brisket was tender.
DSC_0017-21.jpg

DSC_0018-27.jpg

DSC_0019-20.jpg

DSC_0025-16.jpg
My wife Jackie fixed the Filo dough the best she could, I should of talked to her before I went to the market. She said the next time she would make the Puff Pastry.
DSC_0027-18.jpg
Back into the Egg for 40 min.
DSC_0031-9.jpg

DSC_0034-9.jpg
Served with peas, this was a wonderful meal that we will do again real soon.

Recipe:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/steak-guinness-and-cheese-pie-with-a-puf

Thanks for looking

Ross

Comments

• AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    That looks like it would hit the spot tonight... Kinda cool here tonight... Very nice looking cook!!! :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    GOODGOSHAMITEE! I wanna be you IF I grow up!!! B)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Ross and Jackie, That is a very interesting cook. It looks very tasty. The two of you are always into cooking something very good. Thanks for all of your posts. You inspire me and often times make it easy for me to copy cat your cooks. Tim ;)
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Thanks Anna, that 2.5 hr. cook in the Egg with the lid of the DO off, made it wonderful.

Ross
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Thanks Hoss, don't you dare grow up!

Ross
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Thanks Tim those were very kind words.

Ross
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great idea Ross!! Looks great!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Man that looks good. The weather is starting to get a little cool and I think that would make a perfect dish on a cold weather night. Very nice.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ross,

Very nice. Put about a pound of kidney in there and I'll be there in five hours.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Thanks Molly, it was very tasty

Ross
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Thanks, I'm sure you well enjoy it

Ross
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Thanks Steve, I was working on a film In London (If its Tuesday this must be Belgum) 1968 and the Cater served Steak and Kidney Pie,I didn't like it. Do you have a recipe for it or just add it what I have?

Ross
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Ross,

Same idea as yours without any vegetables except onions. Kidneys have to be really well cleaned and soaked in multiple changes of water. It was always a special treat when I was growing up.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Thanks Steve, I'll give it a thought

Ross
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Ross,

Lot of people just don't like organ meat. I'm not one of them. :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Steve
    :laugh:
    Ross
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Ross, reminds me of one of my favourites while studying in the old continent Beef Wellington, loved your cook.Jackie is an artist, but of course you must know this already.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Ross in my experience the perfect or not so perfect cleaning of the kidneys makes all the difference in the taste
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Thanks Beli for all your support of my post. I have a real winner wife with Jackie

Ross
  • redneck6497
    Options
    Hey, Do you by any chance have a recipe for a great guinness stew? We were recently in Ireland and had some really great stews, but have no idea how to make them. We have an old recipe that seems to come out sort of bitter.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I'm sorry I do not

Ross
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Does this help?

Beef, Stew, Guinness, Smokin' Stogies

INGREDIENTS:
    2 lbs Beef chuck steak cubed to 1 inch (you can use mutten as well)
    4 16 Ozs Cans Guinness (2 for the stew, 2 for you
    1 1/2 Tbs vegetable oil
    1 cup chopped (large chop) onions (I use Sweet Mayan)
    1 clove garlic chopped
    1 cup mushrooms if you like, not required
    1 Tbs black pepper
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 cup beef stock
    1/4 cup flour
    2 bay leaves
    2 cups carrots, chopped or quartered
    2 cups chopped (1 inch size) potatoes, starchy ones
    2 Tbs chopped parsley
    2 Tbs Penzey's Fox Point Seasoning (use 2 teaspoons each Thyme, Marjoram, Sage as an alternative)

PROCEDURE:
    1 Dredge the beef through flour as a skillet or CI Dutch Oven is heating, use the oil to brown the beef on all sides in small batches. Transfer to Crock insert (what I am going to try on the Egg) or place in a bowl. When all the meat is done, add the garlic and onions and just about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the broth in the skillet or DO, heat on med lo and scrape the leavings. Return the beef to the DO or leave in the crock and add the skillet scrapings/onions and add 2 cans of Guinness, drink the other two. Place in 230-250* egg indirect. (the rest can be done in either DO or insert or even in a conventional crock pot) Let it simmer for 1 hour in just the Guinness. Then add the rest of the stock, veggies and herbs and slow cook it for 2-3 hours, it should thicken on it's own, if not make a rue of flour and beef stock and add it. If it gets too thick, add some more stock. Enjoy with some Irish Brown Bread or Soda Bread. I learned the recipe from a close friend in Ireland and have modified it slightly with the Penzey's spice. If you are not familiar with them, they have a great web site to order from. I am lucky as they have a store near me in Philly. Enjoy

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Smokin' Stogies, 2010/09/10
  • redneck6497
    Options
    That sounds really tasty. Thanks.

I'll have to see if I can get a dutch oven .... although, I think my Le Creuset will work fine.