Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs?

Bob V
Bob V Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My brother lives out in Amarillo TX, a great place for beef ("Home of the 72 oz steak!"), but a place where even the idea of pork is usually met with a wrinkled forehead and a statement like, "But how would you fix that?"[p]For Christmas he sent me a huge pack of beef ribs. Look great, lots of meat, etc. but I'm in the same quandry here in NC as the folks in Amarillo may be about pork. How do I fix these things?[p]Does 3-1-1 apply to beef ribs? If not, how do you suggest I do them?[p]Thanks - Bob

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Bob V, sorry to hear...did your brother always hate you? [p]It's funny about the regional kind of thing. Here in the midwest we have corn fed piggies and grass fed beef vs whatever those poor animals survive on in AR & TX. OTOH catfish is good eating here, but I understand that is frowned on food in the South. Turkeys are stupid fowl, but are raised in clean surroundings, but farm "kids" I'm known over the years won't eat chickens if they were dying from hunger. Lamb - well, the only reason (I've always heard) that they slaughter lamb is that when they (equally stupid animals) have eaten so many rocks that their teeth are broken and can no longer grow hair they are put to rest (in your grocery meat market). What's left? Well I LOVE lobster, but watch some smarty-*ss ruin it for me tonight! 8^)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    A few years ago I was on business in Nova Scotia. Some friends of mine who lived there were going to fix dinner for me and said, "Let's go get some lobster." [p]We drove around the small bay to a lobster fisherman they knew, old guy, real Nova Scotian. I was talking to him about the lobster business and he said, "You know, when I was coming along up here, if your parents had to fix you a lobster sandwich for lunch you went and ate at the edge of the schoolyard. It meant you were too poor to afford lunch meat."[p]Bob V

• Bob V,
    When I was a child in the 50's and 60's, we ate crabmeat because it was cheaper than chicken.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Bob V, I've stopped at the "Big Texan" several times on my way thru Amarillo on I40, but have not had the 4½ lb steak. I do like their Texas Caviar, tho.[p]The 3-1-1 is not a bad bet on the ribs. Depending on the amount of meat and the thickness of the ribs, you may have to foil again (just for a short time) after the last "1". As with any ribs, pork or beef, there will be variations and the ribs may take longer or shorter cooking time, you can tell better towards the end of the "3". [p]Good luck and tell us how they come out.

• Ron wrote, "OTOH catfish is good eating here, but I understand that is frowned on food in the South."[p]Well, in this part of the South, catfish and/or mullet, hush puppies, grits and fried 'maters are almost a staple.
  • RRP,[p]When I was ten (I'm only 43 now) we would eat lobster EVERY Saturday night! My Grandfather
    was an ice man and would get bushels of Lobbies from the boats that he would delivery ice to. We lived in Boston and the lobsters were from the harbor......that was WAY BEFORE the Harbor was clean.....maybe that's why I have no hair left!!
    Now I pay $10.00/lb to have the little bastards deliveried to my BGE!!! I refuse to pay for those muniscule little Brazilian tails!!!! I have a great website if you want any delivered....they always have 5 pounders on sale!!! And it is NOT true that the big ones are tougher!!
    I'mm usually a purist when it come to Lobsters, but now with the EGG I just throw them on in. I live in South Carolina now so I think I'm safe from anyone seeing me do that....lol. Paul

• RRP,
    If you want to feel sorry for the lobster, there was an article in Gourmet last August (I think) that describes its feelings about being put in the pot and the carnage that is the Maine Lobster Festival. But this is optional reading and it didn't make me hesitate before dropping them in.[p]Paul

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Midnight Smoker,
    my dad had a friend who owned a lobster boat. we had an old coleman cooler that was huge. every weekend, dad came home from work and the thing had seaweed and lobsters to fill it up.[p]had it literally almost once a week.[p]one night, we had some drop in company. i bugged my mother, in front of them. "ma, what's for dinner?" she replied, "we are having lobsters" whereupon i turned to go play in the yard and sighed "not AGAINNN..."[p]those days are past.[p]but i am forever prejudiced. to me, lobster, steamers, etc. are things you cook up at home, and hardly ever for special occasions. but we go OUT for fried clams!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Essex County,
    lobsters have very little in the way of pain receptors. their nervous system is primitive, and motor-oriented.[p]these little guys snag claws and lose them all the time, scavenging for food. plus, iu've yet to hear one complain about the temps

• stike,[p]Speaking of fried clams......heading up to Boston for Christmas and the FIRST place I'm stopping at is Kelly's Roast Beef in Revere for FRIED CLAMS.......it's oyster roast season here in SC and I NEED A FRIED CLAM!!!!! Love oysters,but I need a fried clam injection. Paul
  • stike
    Midnight Smoker,
    aaaw man...
    not KELLY'S?!?!!?[p]go there for roast beef, but hit the Clambox or Woodman's for fried clams![p]only $24 a plate (roughly, if i remember corectly from the summer).[p]actually, i never had'em at kelly's. assuming they have bellies and a hot, and dunked in cornmeal batter, then i guess i won't object![p](amazing, the food choices we have here in this country, huh?)

• stike,
    yeah, ganglia don't buy you much. i have no problem cooking them but the article was very bizzare. very upsetting to the readership of Gourmet and a fist pumping event for many vegan websites.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Bob V,[p]Not sure if the post is still down the list a bit but I cooked some last weekend and they were awesome. I think they take a bit less time than pork ribs, at least thats my experience, but I use the exact same technique on them as pork ribs. I cook mine indirect about 250 for as long as it takes. I did 4 racks last weekend in about 5 1/2 hours, in a rib rack, sauced the last 45 minutes a couple of times.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Troy
  • stike
    Essex County,
    i REALLY hope that vegans don't hang their entire logic on the "feels pain/doesn't feel pain" equivocation.[p]Roald Dahl wrote a short story which comically implied that things 'veggie' had feeling, and emotions, etc. His character invented a machine to hear sub-aural stuff, and realised all the screaming he was hearing was from the blades of grass his neighbor was mowing, etc.[p]well, a coulple years ago there were studies done implying that plants (some) could actually communicate. whether by releasing stuff into the air, or through roots that were entwined. anyway, the studies implied that some plants, under stress, will communicate to others (of their kind) that they are being attacked, or diseased or whatever.[p]the other plants were then given a bit of a head start to prepare for the same 'attack'.[p]well gee. if you don't eat piggies and moo-cows because they have feelings, and you can hear them protest in pain, what are you gonna say when someone tells you that broccoli suffers when you cut it out of the ground?[p]hahahaha[p]i have pointy damn teeth for a reason.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    stike,
    i dont know why anyone would stop at the clambox if their that close to woodmans. we have a fish fry once a year with an ex woodmans employee doing all the dipping and its hard to describe unless youve eaten at woodmans. the clamshack in kennebunk is also good(a short stumble from the shipyards brewpub)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike,[p]YOU HAVE TO GIVE KELLY'S A CHANCE!
    I only go there for their clams........Woodmans is great as well, but way over priced for the same quality product....plus they have the b*lls to charge you .75 cents for tarter sauce!! I like sitting on the wall at Kelly's eating my clams and as the song from awhile back would go....."drinking PBR talls!" I guess it will be a bit nippy this time of year....considering that it's 75 degrees here.
    Paul

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Midnight Smoker,
    So what's the web site?

• Bob V,[p]Here's a link with some info. You could use the 3-2-1
    method which is 3 hours indirect and unfoiled, 2 hours
    foiled then the last hour (or until done) unfoiled.
    Put your finishing sauce on in the last 15 - 30 min.
    and enjoy. You might try a rub that is complimentary
    to beef.[p]http://www.thesmokering.com/BeefRibs/default.jsp[p]K_sqrd

[ul][li]Beef Fibs[/ul]
  • stike
    Midnight Smoker,
    they only charge for tartar sauce because the out-of-towners are the only ones that buy the stuff[p]
    hahahahaa

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Rumrunner,
    sorry bout that - guess I've heard it wrong, huh? BTW I was at my butcher shop tonight for some aged New York strips for tomorrow night. With all this talk about lobster I'm fixing tails tomorrow night as well. It's Surfin and Turfin at the Pratt house tomorrow night for sure for sure!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.