Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not a good day for Jay...

SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I asked Jay if he wanted to post anything on the forum before I left for home tonight, but he said no. I asked him why not and he said because he didn't have anything good to say. The nurse removed his catheter and his drain and also his pain medicine pump. He had a 101 degree fever and quite a bit of pain. He also had hiccups almost all day long. He is getting pain medicine every 3-4 hours, but it doesn't work quie as fast or as well. He might come home tomorrow, we'll see.
Things are always better in the morning.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Sorry to hear he is hurting so much, but it sounds like it comes with the procedure. Wish him and both of you the best and hope he will start feeling better as soon as possible. -RP
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    They may not let him go home if he still has fever but that might not be so bad. He is going to have a rough couple of weeks but then it will get better. Give him a hug for us and you, sweet lady, try to get some rest. I know for a fact this is very hard for you too. As for the hiccups, give him a heaping teaspoon of sugar and tell him to swallow it as whole as he can....works every time for me :) Love ya!
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Kathy just remind him that it will get better and warn the rehab people to wear helmets :whistle:
    Wendy had it done about 3 weeks after Leroy and talking with him and his progress reports really helped. If or when he feels up to it have him give a call for some encouragement.
    PS
    It will get tough for you too shortly so get your rest and give Jay our best.
  • Hoping you both have relief very soon, it will take time but is worth the hassles.

Blair

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Thanks for the support and for the great idea of a helmet! I know we're going to have a rough go of it for a while, but I do have several bottles of wine!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    It was a rough few weeks with my father in law as well....and like everyone else says the light is at the end of the tunnel. Tell Jay I'm praying for him.

Dennis
  • Hi Kathy.

The first day home I walked to the Coop (with my walker, of course) because I felt like I could cook something if I had a mind to. But within hours the hospital’s pain meds wore off. From then on I didn't want to do anything that involved any part of me moving, including therapy.

I wasn’t ‘ill,’ it was just my leg that had surgery, but my entire body ached because every muscle was offering sympathy pain. Meanwhile, everyone was insisting that I eat but I was constipated and didn’t want anything to eat. They wanted me to take iron pills because I was anemic. Everything they wanted me to do or take seemed to be adding to my misery. I lost about 25 pounds during this period and was sent home from therapy many times during the critical first three weeks.

My Vicodin every four hours didn't help at all. Ironically, dropping down a notch to Darvocet helped a lot. But it took them months to figure that out. I still take a Darvocet now and then but only when I've done a lot of standing around on hard surfaces.

Both knees hurt equally (bone-on-bone arthritis) up until the left knee surgery. After the surgery my right knee didn't hurt at all, or I couldn't feel it, but then one day my right knee hurt worse. That's when I knew I had reached a milestone. It took four months for that to happen.

He has to know that one day it will feel better. Until then it's going to hurt like a SOB.

By the way, they finally figured out that inflammation was causing most of my pain and stiffness problem. I couldn't take the normal anti-inflammation pills because of my heart but they finally allowed me to take Celebrex for a few days. By the second day I felt noticeably better. After three days I had very little pain. When I stopped taking the pills, the pain came back because the inflammation came back. I actually managed to do some of the therapy. But I was way behind where I should be so they fitted me with a brace. Not good… I sent it back after a month. Now I just try to do things I’m used to doing and for some reason I no longer think about the pain. I’m walking pretty normal now. It’s been almost five months and my doctors are saying good things about my progress.

At least Jay doesn’t have to do the other knee. As Martha would say, “That’s a good thing.”

Wish him well for me.

Spring "Knee Needs Kneading" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • I hope Jay starts feeling better during his recovery!

Ross
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Tell our buddy Jay I hope he feels better soon. Take care of you too girl. ;)
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    My Brother also had the hiccups after a different type of surgery. There is medication that they can give him to hopefully, relieve him of that. Not much fun when everything is sore from the surgery... Wishing you the best!!!! :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Well wishes for you Kathy and Jay. I pray the pain will ease and the hiccups will go away. Like Spring hen said that big spoon of sugar does it for me as well. Blessings to you all. Tim
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Speedy recovery wishes from LC and BT. "Pain is God's way of letting you know you are still alive".
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Morning! Hope things are feeling a little better & you can go home :)
  • Prayers and Karma to you and Jay. Hope things get better for him real soon.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Hope he's feeling better soon. I'm sure getting home will help. Tell him we're all thinking about him.
  • Hope he's feeling better soon. I'm sure getting home will help. Tell him we're all thinking about him.
  • I hope he gets home and feels better soon.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Our prayers are with you folks. That's a lot of trauma to deal with.

Kent
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Sorry to hear yesterday was such a rough day. Here's hoping today is better! It's going to be a rough road, but in the end, one that was well worth it.

Gentle hugs to you both!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Let Jay know the boys and I are thinking about him and prying for a quick recovery.