Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Gone through lump?

EGGRPhEGGRPh Posts: 179
edited 1:01PM in EggHead Forum
Good Morning everyone!
I have read where a couple on new eggers have gone through a bag of lump in a week. I know that burning your fuel depends on what you cook, but I have had my lg. since May and I figured that I have roughly gone through 50lbs of lump. That translates to 10 lbs a month. I know there are others here who do more cooks and longer cooks than I do, but I think that this is a testiment to the BGE on how it saves fuel. I know when I had a gasser I would at least fill the tanks twice to three times a season. Very expensive. I love my BGE. Anyone wants to chime in please do. Go Blue (Michigan).

Stef in Brunswick, Oh.
·

Comments

• BigABigA Posts: 1,157
    yes it depends on the cooks you do and how hot the fire gets. i can go thru 5 - 7lbs in 1 cook with a lo n slo, but if i do alot of high heat cooks it burns pretty quick too, but yes you can save on the lump when doing certain cooks, it is a great thing. Plus the food is way better :)
    ·
  • EGGRPhEGGRPh Posts: 179
    I agree!!!
    ·
  • Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 1,625
    Stef,
    I agree with your assessment on usage of lump. There was a time when I was concerned about how much lump I used and finally came to the conclusion that it is the cost of doing business. I love cooking on my Eggs and it takes lump to do so. When I first started Egging I would cook dinner and go into the house and eat, then sometime later I would go outside and close it down and that wasted lump. Now I close the bottom vent and put the rain cap on so the fire goes out faster to save lump. Back then I would light the Egg to soon maybe an hour or two before I need to cook, but now I'm lighting 30 minutes before I need to cook. I have also put some gasket material on the inside of the rain cap so it is a tight fit. Hope this helps everyone save lump.
    Jupiter Jim
    I'm only hungry when I'm awake!
    ·
  • KokemanKokeman Posts: 815
    I go through 40-50 pounds a month. :side:
    ·
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Three tanks of propane is only $48, pretty cheap. I spend a LOT more on charcoal since I use 10 lbs or more a week.
    ·
  • While the bge uses little fuel compared to other cookers, I find my gasser more cost effective. Even three fill ups is just over 30 bucks. The trick is going to a propane dealer, not the exchange places. I just don't think my gasser tastes as good, so I use the egg for everything. I cook 4-6 times a week on it, and go through one bag every 1-3 weeks (depending on what I cook, and which size egg I use). If I use the mini and small most, it takes a long time to go through one RO 10lb bag.

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

·
  • hayhonkerhayhonker Posts: 576
    I was just thinking about this earlier. I buy 200 lbs every Spring and usually that lasts me a year.

Well, I've done a lot more long cooks this year and have 60 lbs left of the 200 I bought in May.

20lb BGE bags.

If we have a winter in MD like last year, I'm gonna have to buy more!

coldone.jpg
    ·