Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question about BBQ

Options
Sir Brisket
Sir Brisket Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never cooked ribs before. My question is why do you guys and gals put mustard on the ribs? Doesnt this make them well taste like mustard. If this is a dumb question sorry. I just find this odd. I am looking to learn the was of the egg and BBQ

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    yes I do smear with French's yellow mustard and NO it does not leave a mustard taste. BTW it's a pretty common practice to get a great bark on ribs, but the general public just doesn't know the trick.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - if you hang around this board long enough you'll also learn the trick of using Coca-Cola to reheat pulled pork, corn starch to make crispy chicken skin and other little tricks! ;)
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mustard is an ingredient in a lot of rubs. No, it doesn't make them taste like mustard. I can help the rub to adhere and having a moist surface can help increase the smoke flavor.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Not everyone uses mustard, or Coca Cola. Unless of course you wanna talk about hot dogs & refreshing drinks. ;)
  • RRP
    Options
    ...whatever ;)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I agree it doesn't make it taste like mustard.
    What I've discovered in rinsing off the meat with a little good ol H2O also helps rub adhere to the meat and it is cheaper than mustard.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Holds the rub nicely and doesn't affect taste

Also try it on a pork butt - I go get heavy with the mustard and rub on a butt for plenty bark
  • ddmax
    ddmax Posts: 45
    Options
    If you want to get really crazy, use mayonaise instead of mustard. It seems to help create a better bark on the ribs and keep them moist.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    If you want to get really crazy, use mayonaise instead of mustard. It seems to help create a better bark on the ribs and keep them moist.

:S Dude I bet it is fine but that just sounds wrong! probably shouldn't tell people that before they eat them for the first time! :laugh:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Sort of twisting the subject, but Mayo is great to put on a fish filet you are going to grill. A little DP "Shaking the Tree" and some Hellman's on a nice sea trout filet, O Yea! :) :woohoo:
    Gives it a nice glaze and a little tang :cheer:
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    when I fry fish, I slather them with mustard, shake on a lot of Louisiana hot sauce and then dredge in corn meal and drop in deep fryer. Just barely taste the flavor of the hot sauce and it is not hot at all. I use this whether fillets or whole fish, mostely catfish

been cooking with mustard for years.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I either rinse with water and coat with rub or rub some EVOO into them, then coat with rub. I don't use mustard on my ribs, but do on my butts. As others have said, it really don't impart a flavour into the meat.

Mmmm mayonnaise. I love gravy on most things, perhaps a coating of gravy is in order. Anyone?
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    A simple rinse of ribs and butts after prep and trimming is sufficient for you. Pat it down a little and add rub. It will stick to the meat and provide a nice bark. Mustard is over-rated in my book. It is also messy.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options