Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie question

wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to the forum and a new Egg owner (cut me some slack please). Picked my large up in Atlanta 2 weeks ago and took a 6 hour road trip with it to its final destination in western KY. After 2 weeks I have cooked 6 very successful meals on it and 2 that didn't go well. So now I have a fridge full of leftovers and not sure when this will end or does it? Since our daughter ditched us for college we had adjusted to portions for 2, but the Egg now makes me buy 9-15 pound portions of meat (instead of 8-12 ounces) when I go to the grocery. Is there somewhere I can find recipes in smaller portions so that I can still use the Egg for most dinners?

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    i wouldnt change a thing, cook normal and freeze what you dont want for later. if you want to cut the portion down, just do that cook smaller portions, but as you will find out, left overs are great!!
  •  
    In order to get the portion size right it takes the right sized egg, sounds like it might be time for a medium or small egg. :lol:

• if you don't have one yet, invest in a good vacuum sealer and freeze meat both pre and post cook based on the situation.
  • Richard,

Just because you have enough room on the large does not mean you have to cook large amounts/lbs. of meat. It is easy to get carried away with your new egg since it's alot of fun cooking on it. After the newness wears off, you will begin to cook more appropriately to your own needs. Have fun, read alot here, and post pics.

Definitely check out the Breakfast Throwdown and see just what a BGE can do.

Have fun!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Sounds like you are warming up to a mini :ohmy:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Blair,
    After burning through a bag of lump in the first week I am thinking that a small or medium might be the way to go for a dinner for 2. Looked at both of them yesterday at the local Ace store (picking up 3 bags), but figured it might be a good idea to wait for the amex bill to come in from Eggtoberfest. will look for advise next month on what size to get..
  •  
    Hi Richard,

I am single and have a medium and sometimes wish I had a large and other times happy I don't. LOL. The medium is probably perfect for two people and often more and is economical with the lump. I wish I had a large when I do ribs. I have to cut the racks in half and put them in a V rack, but that's OK, I still get great ribs. If I was baking with my egg the large I think would do a better job just because it is bigger. I know some of the members here confess to having at least 7 eggs so when you are ready there will be plenty of advice and believe it or not it's all for free! LOL.

Welcome to the forum!

Blair

• Faith,
    I am trying not to get carried away, but its tough. One of my good friends started with a large and moved to an XL (he is the reason I bought the egg)I bought a Viking gasser that caught on fire twice last year, so charcoal is the way I'm cooking now. I'm thinking that a small or a medium might be better option for us at this point. Of course I will keep the large for bigger cooks! Cooked a 9 pound butt yesterday and after 3 sandwiches I'm done with butt for a while. Tomorrow night its salmon!!!!!
  • Made an awesome pizza Wednesday night Laurie said it was the best pizza she has ever had. Alfredo sauce (home made), basil, spinach, black olive, feta, tomato and yellow bell pepper. tried to post a pic, but no luck. Tons of wasted grill space and wasted lump. This is my selling point to the wife....quit buying frozen Freschetta pizzas(you really don't know whats in those pizzas anyways)a medium egg would save us money on lump and would be a quicker cook right?
  • Pizza and chicken make great meals for two. Enjoy

Dave in Plumas County
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Why not do Butts on special occasions. If you are grilling a steak or two, the large EGG is just fine. You aren't going to use a lot of lump charcoal and after shutting down when you are done, you should have some lump left over and just add what you need for the next.
  • I don't waste much lump when cooking for 2 on my large. After cooking I shut the Egg down and save the rest for the next cook. No problem. I will buy a small later because for those times I'm doing a low n slow on the large and I want to cook something else at a much higher temp. Saving lump wouldn't be the reason though.
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Not sure why you got taken off on this size tangent, your Large is just fine. The difference in lump usage between Large and Medium Eggs is really not that significant. Simply cook the amounts that you want. Get a food saver for when you do pulled pork, brisket, or other large quantities. As someone said freeze the leftovers, do that in food saver bags and they are great later, even months later. Just pop the bag in boiling water until reheated. Enjoy your Egg!
  • Suggestions:

Get a cheap foodsaver - I have the cheapest and use it a lot

You said you adjusted to portions for 2 but the Egg makes you buy 9-15 pounds :blink: tell your Egg to quit pushing you around and go back to your portions for 2.

Don't get a medium - get a small. We have an XL, Sm, and mini. Also eggin for 2 and the small gets most of the action. The small is much more portable for tailgating, camping, beach, trip to the in-laws, etc.

Go slap that large and tell it you won't be bullied into buying large portions of meat - show him/her who da boss is :laugh:
  • Thanks for all the advise. I am going to buy a food saver today and freeze the left overs that are in the fridge. I priced a small egg this morning and was quoted $499.00, so I will wait till Christmas for the small.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Totally agree. I only have a large and I don't know how much "lump savings" you would get with a small, but I'm guessing it would take 5-10 years to recoup the cost :).

If you want a small for dual cooker capability then by all means, but not simply to cook smaller meals. Just cook smaller meals on your large.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I just got my first BGE. Me and my Bride are also Empty Nesters. I got a Large and love it. Never did the left over thing until now.