Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sea Scallop Recipe sought!

Pigasso
Pigasso Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings - does anyone have a recipe for sea scallops on the egg? My egg bottom has arrived and it is time for a christening![p]oinks,

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Pigasso,
    Rinse and dry the scallops.
    Dust with Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk or your favorite seasoning and sear quickly at high temps like a steak. We are talking only a minute on each side at best.
    Have everything else ready to go and enjoy the meal.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Pigasso,
    this is good but you have to reduce the sauce more than half its volume. the scallops add liquid when cooked.[p]
    Bigbawb'seafood casserole
    Submitted by: Bigbawb bkhwsky@mediaone.net [p]

[p]Ingredients:
    • ¾ lb fresh haddock,cod or scrod; bite size chunks
    • ½ lb medium shrimp;tails removed
    • ½ lb fresh scallops,sea or bay(if sea,then cut into quarters)
    • 1½ Cup red wine(like riunite lambrusco or arbor mist strawberry zin.)
    • ½ pt light cream or half and half
    • 1 sleeve of RITZ crackers,crushed
    • 4 or 5 tsp butter or margerine [p]
    Preparation Directions:
    • combine wine and cream in small saucepan and reduce to ½ its volume over medium heat,careful not to curdle the cream;stir frequently![p]
    • pour thickened sauce over fish in casserole dish
    • spread crushed crackers over entire surface,and place pats of butter on top of crackers [p]Cooking Directions:
    • Fire up the egg and bake this INDIRECT at 300 degrees for about 40 minutes,or until fish is firm! [p]

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pigasso
    RhumAndJerk, - thanks for the recipe. Would you use a grill basket or place the scallops directly on the grill?

• Pigasso
    fishlessman, thanks! I don't have all the ingredients on hand, so I will keep this on file for the next time. Thanks again![p]Oink

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Pigasso,
    A grill basket will work well, but the non-stick ones don't do well with the super high heat...and I like a screamin hot fire. My favorite way to grill them is to use skewers. Soaked bamboo skewers work well, but the scallops tend to spin...so I use flat metal skewers.[p]A good pan sauce might include sherry, soy, ginger....or a ginger, lime, cream kinda thing. Don't have any recipes handy, as I usually wing it.[p]Happy cookin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Nature Boy,[p]I pierce with two-bamboo skewers to keep the spinning from happening. The only spinning I want to see is the Dizzy Pig Spin! Raging River Scallops are incredible![p]Beers to you,
    Tonia
    :~)

• Nature Boy
    QBabe,
    2 skewers? Damn that's a good idea!
    Thank you!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Nature Boy,
    my scallop skewers are simply a peice of stainless tig wire bent in the middle back on itself so that 2 wires stick though each scollop. easy to load

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • QBabe
    Nature Boy,[p]Works really well with shrimp also...[p]Tonia
    :~)[p][p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    I actually have two prong metal skewers that I use all of the time for shrimp.
    R&J[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    QBabe, Try presoaking the whole bundle of skewers, then freezing them on a tray so they separate. Bag them and you are ready to go without having to soak em each time. Plus the frozen ones stay cool longer.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • QBabe,[p]RR are my favorites also. Thanks for the tip on 2 skewers. DOH, that should have been eaiser to figure out.[p]CWM
  • Pigasso, lime juice, honey, raging river, chipotle powder to taste. MArinade 30-60 min. Wrap each with 1/2 strip bacon. Cook med. hot and fast.[p]CB

• Pigasso, who wouldn't want to serve the famous Seafood Newburg off the BGE...I had scallops not long ago and just added some nice shrimp to go along with them and on a raised grid added another grid on top of that one turned 90 degree from the first one making it impossible for the scallops and shrimp to fall through and oiled & dusted them and grilled, let cool a bit and chopped, then followed this recipe. I did em in oval ramkins (which also went in the egg) and didn't think they needed much to go with except a salad and hard rolls.[p]Seafood Newburg
    · 1 pound frozen shrimp, cooked and coarsely chopped
    · 4 to 8 ounces crab or lobster, thawed, drained, and diced
    · 2 tablespoons sherry
    · 2 teaspoons lemon juice
    · 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
    · 3/4 stick butter, 6 tablespoons
    · 1/3 cup flour
    · 2 cups half and half
    · 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    · 1/4 cup heavy cream
    · 1 egg yolk
    · 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
    Mix the seafood with sherry, lemon juice, and nutmeg. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat; blend in flour then stir in the half-and-half. Add salt and continue cooking and stirring until thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes. Combine beaten egg yolk with the heavy cream.[p]Add to the sauce, stirring constantly. Add cheese. Continue to cook, stirring, until well blended and cheese is melted. Add the seafood with its marinade. Heat thoroughly, about 10 minutes longer. Serve over patty shells, rice, or toast points. If too thick, thin with a little milk.
    Seafood Newburg recipe serves 4 to 6.[p]

• Nature Boy
    fishlessman,
    Thanks mang. I am learning a bunch tonight.
    What is a "tig wire"? Any pictures?
    Thanks!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • QBabe
    Chet,[p]OMG that sounds incredible and rich! WOW! Thanks for sharing...[p]Happy Holidays,
    Tonia
    :~)

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    fishlessman......do you recommend 304, 309 or 316? :~)

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Pigasso,
    Dizzy Pig's Tsunami Spin Rub is great on scallops. I also recommend the Grill Topper (expanded aluminum mesh)to to cook them on so they don't fall through the grid. Wal-Mart has them in their grill dept. for .94 cents. They are disposable-you can get about 5-10 cooks out of them depending how careful you are when cleaning it between uses.