Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question: Dry Aged Rib Roast

Options
berrygood
berrygood Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dear dry aging experts,

I just pulled my 13 lb rib roast after 30 days of resting commando at 37 degrees in the fridge. All seemed well as I sliced off the outer skin. In preparation for company tomorrow, I threw on an end piece to test it out.

The results are mixed: beautiful look to the steak, but the smell and taste are substantially different than a fresh cut, which I expected, but maybe not to this degree. Oddly, the smell in the fridge was pleasantly meaty, but after cooking the smell seems even stronger and not entirely pleasant. The taste is also very intense and the meat isn't as juicy as I am accustomed to.

My question is: did I do something wrong or can I prepare differently for tomorrow's company. I guess I should mentioned that I Trex-ed it like normal - nice crust and look as I said. I'm hoping the meat is safe to eat, but thats just the panic talking probably.

I know it is difficult to judge without being here, but I was just looking for some reassurance or direction. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ...tired of typing this stuff. i dunno how many times i, or someone here, have typed all the warnings and whys and wherefores for aging beef, but my rule number one is to not bother doing it until you have paid thru the teeth for a dry aged steak you will cook at home. it will have answered about 80% of your questions.

in fact, i usually close with "you don't want to be standing there 30 days later with a 100 dollar roast wondering if "that's how it is supposed to be"

the other thing i usually try to say (heck, beg, plead, cajole, brow beat, and badger...) is that you needn't trim. it's wasteful, and many of us that like dry aged beef consider it maybe the best part. there is nothing wrong ith the outer portion, and a whole lot right. in fact, when you trim off the dry aged part, you are left with nothing more than the wet-aged core. might have just as well left it in the package.

i dunno how close you followed any of the threads previously, but this gets covered every time.

i can't tell what it smells like, or looks like. i can tell you if it was bad, you wouldn't be guessing
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    How thick was the "end piece" you threw on? If you cut off 1/2 sliver then no, that isn't what dry aged beef should be like.
  • berrygood
    Options
    Thanks. Somewhere amid all the vitriol, I think I found a few morsels of wisdom.
  • berrygood
    Options
    It was about 1.25" and shrunk substantially. I'll go thicker for the company tomorrow, of course.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    No vitriol. Less wisdom
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante