Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

snack help

Options
Crab leg
Crab leg Posts: 291
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a work party mid day Friday and will not have access to the egg to do anything for the party. I need some help with some ideas for finger food for this event. Any and all ideas will be considered. Please help!!!! Thanks in advance.
Seth

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Crab leg,
    a couple ideas that goes well. take some cream cheese and spread it about 3/16 thick onto a 10 inch plate. cover with cocktail sauce and top with shreaded crab meat. use a butter knife to spread this on top of ritz crackers. another idea would be to spread cream cheese thin on deli thin-sliced roast beaf, ham, or turkey and then roll a sliced dill pickle or green onion into the 'buttered' meat slice, cut'em about 2 inches long and secure with a toothpick.

• Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    Options
    Crab leg,
    I recommend pre cooking some abts the night before. They can easily be warmed up and enjoyed the next day!
    Paul

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Eggvis,
    red pepper jelly spead on a cream cheese log is good on crackers. more work but good if you have time is mini brascioles. slice bottom round 3/16 thick and remove fat, rub rosemary on slice,squirt of lemon, slice of any kind of italian ham(sweet capicola is good), mix grated parmasian, asiago, toasted pine nut choped basil and put a good scoop in the ham and beef and roll up. tooth pick or tie up and sear. put these in a crock pot and simmer until they soften,1.5to 2 hours. i like to smoke a few plum tomatoes to add to the sauce, and add some italian sausage pieces to it.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Crab leg,
    I like to take a fresh bag of Tostitos, and then open that and place it in a glass bowl.[p]You can either serve it warm or at room temperaure, people love it.

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Thanks. Now my lcd is all wet with nose-water. [p]Since we're on the subject of snacks, you could bring some corn chips too with a nice salsa in a jar.
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Crab leg,
    Rollups are great. Get thin flour tortillas and spread with anything your little heart desires. Suggestions: cream cheese and/or herb cheese, pesto, and chopped oil-cured sundried tomatoes (patted dry). Or roasted red pepper, shredded cheddar, and thinly sliced turkey. Or leftover pulled pork, dijon/horseradish, and cream cheese with a layer of thinly sliced red onions. Or turkey, cranberry chipotle, and baby spinach with a layer of cream cheese. Or, or, or....Anyway, you get the picture. Then you roll up the tortillas and fillings, wrap tightly to transport, and slice into about 1-inch spirals just before serving. They're pretty and you can get ultra creative.
    Have fun!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Crab leg,
    shrimp might be cliche', but the wife and i did some jumbos wrapped in prosciutto, with olive oil, cracked pepper and sea salt, and brought them cold to a party...[p]it's a simple thing to do, and what's nice is the ingredients are pretty common, which let's the slight smokiness come to the front. people invariably ask why it tastes so much better than what they expected.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Crab leg,
    Look for a 7 layer dip with and a bowl of chips. Can be made and prefered on thursday for friday.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Crab leg,[p]Roasted Tomato Salsa[p]Ingredients

12 roma (plum) tomatoes [ core the tomatoes before roasting ]
    2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
    1 small onion, quartered
    1 jalapeno chile pepper
    1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    [p] Directions
    1 Preheat the broiler.
    2 In a medium baking dish, place roma (plum) tomatoes, garlic, onion and jalapeno chile pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
    3 Checking often, broil 5 to 10 minutes, or until outsides of vegetables are charred.
    4 Remove vegetables from heat. Remove and discard tomato cores, jalapeno stem and garlic skins.
    5 In a food processor, coarsely chop the charred vegetables. Transfer to a medium bowl and mix in cumin, salt, lime juice and cilantro

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Here's a pretty common hors d'ouvres here in the south. Prep is simple, but fun if you like to get your hands dirty![p]Sausage/Cheese Balls[p]1 lb. bulk hot sausage
    1 lb. sharp (or not) cheddar cheese, grated
    3 cups Bisquick[p]Place all ingredients in large bowl and mix with your hands until you form a ball that has picked up all the loose Bisquick. Make sure you work it in good so there are no pockets of pure Bisquick in there. It will take a little while to come together, but when it does, it happens quickly.[p]Once you have your big ball formed, pinch off enough to roll into ¾" or so balls and place on baking sheet.[p]Bake at 350° for 20 mins. or until the bottom of the s/c balls is nice and brown.[p]Enjoy![p]Happy Holidays,
    Jim

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    JSlot,
    Do you put these in the egg? Smokem just a little or alot? Can I just put them on the platesetter with foil boat?[p]How many does this make?[p]Thanks,
    Doug

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Crab leg,
    Very easy, delicious, and always a winner....

Zucchini Artichoke Squares[p]2 small jars marinated artichoke hearts, minced
    1 onion, minced
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 cup zucchini, grated
    4 eggs
    1/4 cup bread crumbs
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    1/2 lb sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
    2 Tbsp minced parsley[p]Preheat oven to 325°F. [p]Drain oil from one jar of artichokes into frying pan.
    Saute onions and garlic in artichoke oil over low heat for 5 minutes.
    Add zucchini and cook 5 minutes more.
    Add minced artichokes.
    Beat eggs in a bowl. Add bread crumbs, salt, pepper, oregano, cayenne, Cheddar, parsley, and vegetable mixture.
    Pour mixture into buttered 7 x 11 inch pan. Bake 30 minutes until set. Cut into squares. This may be made in advance and reheated. Serve warm.
    (note: I have served them cold; they're still wonderful.)[p](from The Boston University Cookbook: Cooking by Degrees ©1981, CGI Publishing Co.)

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I haven't tried 'em in the Egg, but I'm sure they'd do just fine. This makes about 50 or so, I think. You can vary the yield easily by making them smaller or larger.[p]Jim
  • David from RI
    Options
    Crab leg,
    How about some smoked Salmon?
    I plan on doing that for my event next week, and will put a call out for a bullet proof recipe.[p]David

• myselftokeep
    Options
    Crab leg,
    Take a slice of pickle (1/4 of actual pickle sliced long ways) spread cream cheese down the side and wrap in a peice of pastrami. You could add a peice of bacon between patrami and cream cheese if you like.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Crab leg,[p]I have done this a couple of times now and it always disappears quickly. [p]

Roasted Eggplant and Pepper Dip

[p]The overnight chill made it go from okay to very good. So plan ahead if you want to make this for a party.[p]Roasted Pepper And Eggplant Dip With Pita Wedges
    Makes about 2 cups[p]1 eggplant, about 3 pounds
    3 large red bell peppers
    4 tablesp.oon olive oil , plus more for the vegetables
    4 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
    Juice of 1 large lemon
    1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
    pita loaves, cut into wedges, as an accompaniment[p]1. Heat egg to 350-400°F direct
    2. Coat eggplant and bell peppers lightly with additional oil and arrange on a baking sheet
    3. Roast vegetables, turning once or twice, 30 to 40 minutes, or until eggplant is very soft and bell peppers are charred
    4. Transfer peppers to a metal bowl and let steam, covered tightly with plastic wrap, until cool enough to handle
    5. Peel and seed bell peppers and pat dry between paper towels
    6. Peel eggplant and put flesh in a food processor
    7. Add bell peppers, remaining 4 tablesthingys oil, garlic, lemon juice, jalapeño, and salt and pepper to taste and combine well (it took me quite a bit of salt and I used white pepper)
    8. Transfer mixture to a heavy saucepan and simmer, stirring frequently, 15 to 20 minutes, or until thickened and reduced to about 2 cups
    9. Cool dip and chill, covered, at least 1 day and up to 1 week Serve dip with pita wedges (the wait is important)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Crab leg,
    my sister inlaw brings her fondue set over. fills with oil and heats. large platter of shrimp and scallops and cooked lobster pieces, bowl of batter. wooden skewers. takes about a minute for people to fry their own food. bring different kinds of dip/ sauces. pricey but good

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    David from RI,
    Hint: Do a shout out to Woodoggies. He does a terrific smoked salmon. He did one for the Jack Daniels that the team and guests all kept grazing on for a day...
    Qfan

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Crab leg,[p]I also like Spawn's portabellos mushrooms. I usually modify a bit but that is the fun of these things. I marinate mine over night in Wishbone Robust Italian dressing. This makes the meat (mushroom) sweet to the taste with the goodies on top giving off a different flavor.[p]CWM
  • Crab leg
    Options
    Crab leg,
    Thanks everybody for your help. Much appreciated.
    Seth

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Crab leg,[p]so,you settled on the bag of ruffles, huh?
  • Crab leg
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Gonna do some of the tortila things and I forgot I had some decent smoked salmon that i got as a gift in the fridge that i will smash into some cream cheese and mix some other junk in with it and roll with that. How did you come up with "Mark Backer"? Just curious.
    Seth

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Crab leg,[p]now that this thread has jumped the tracks and is now officially OT in capital letters, here's the deal. [p]A couple years ago, I started writing NASCAR columns for a website owned by a guy in Indiana. I didn't want to use my real name because I didn't want some rusty wallace fan getting mad because I said his driver'd never win again, and have him hunting me down via the internet, coming to my house, and stealing all of my hut stricklin and **** trickle memorabilia. [p]So I needed a pseudonym. A fake name. A nomme de plume, if you will. [p]The wife went hunting and found the racing term "backmarker," which is the car or cars running around at the tail of the field with no chance of competing, much less winning. She came to me and said "how about Mark Backer?"[p]Soon, other folks read my stuff so I kind of syndicated for free to several sites, and one by one they are all closing down. (Not because of my writing, but in spite of it).[p]Next thing you know, I'm an internet celebrity. I still keep my regular job because it's fun to stay in touch with the little people. That and because I don't make one thin dime writing, but I enjoy it. [p]If you're interested in reading some of my stuff or know anyone looking for content for a racing site, email my profile and we can talk more.[p]Now, you may return to your regularly scheduled viewing of emeril legasse's "cooks gone wild" video featuring himself, julia child and chef boyardee in some rather compromising positions...