Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Splash Thermapen....sucks

FatMike
FatMike Posts: 464
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the old generation of thermapen and bought a new one a couple months ago. The problem is that I gave my Dad my old thermapen. This new one seems to take forever to come up to a stable temp when using. I'm talking 30-40 seconds...That's not instant enough for the price. Anyone have similar problems and what did you do to correct?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    That is why I like my original, superfast red thermapen. Nothing compares.
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    I got to get my old one back..I don't think he uses too much..Mine is red too...they are the fastest..lol
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Sounds like you need to return your thermapen to the company for replacement or repair. I have a Splash proof T and it comes up to temp within 3-5 seconds max.

good luck,
    john
  • e-mail them they are very helpful.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I agree with you - my new one is really slooooooooow - nothing like my old yeller one! Guess I better get off my b*tchin soap box and return it for repair as I do know those folks will take care of any problems! Iffin I don't then I'm the dummy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Mike,

I've tested mine (both new and old) against one another and they are nutz on, both with speed and accuracy.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Crimsongator wrote:
    You could try one of these, not sure about the shipping (not my auctions btw)

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=thermapen&_sacat=See-All-Categories
    They do not ship to U.S.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    There is a known bug. Call or e-mail them and they will fix it for free.
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    The red ones are the fastest and most accurate.

They sell the other colors to those who don't mind waiting and guessing.
  • I just talked to them and they deny any bugs with the pen coming up to temperature quickly. That said, I see the pen taking much much longer 2 or 3 time slower than my old thermapen.

Doug.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Care to share?
    South SLO County
  • FatMike wrote:
    I have the old generation of thermapen and bought a new one a couple months ago. The problem is that I gave my Dad my old thermapen. This new one seems to take forever to come up to a stable temp when using. I'm talking 30-40 seconds...That's not instant enough for the price. Anyone have similar problems and what did you do to correct?

Hey FatMike, and everyone, Tim from ThermoWorks here. Hope you don't mind me dropping in to try and be helpful. The new Thermapens are actually faster than the old ones to get within 1 degree of the actual temperature--typically well under 3 seconds. This is due to an improved probe and the way the mini-thermocouples are manufactured.

The new Thermapen shows tenths of a degree, however, and so it can seem to some users that it takes longer to come to a "stable temp." The old Thermapen rounded off the tenths to a whole degree but it was not faster. All you are seeing with the new Thermapen is the settling of the final few tenths. Also, the temperature of meats and other foods are constantly changing during the cooking process and the new Thermapen is accurate enough to show you those tiny temperature changes as they happen.

You could test what I’m saying by switching off the tenths digit via the mini switch in the battery compartment. Then it will behave like the old Thermapen, rounding off to the nearest degree, but you will more easily see that the new one is faster. FatMike, to make sure I've understood, when you say it takes half a minute to come to a "stable temp," are you seeing changes of greater than a few tenths of a degree?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i also have a grey splashproof thermapen.

i would love to open the battery door, but i believe my thermapen was assembled by charles atlas, and no amount of turning with a quarter, spoon, bowie knife or laser will cause it to open. :blush: seriously. the thing is extremely tight, and any more trying will strip the shallow groove.

is this normal behavior? from 32 tot 212 in about 6 seconds. (click for video)

th_Thermapen.jpg

this is pretty much what it is like when taking the temp of a roast, too, about 5 to 6 seconds.

but when i first got it, o would have sworn it jumped right to the number in a second or so, max.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Thermopen spec says it will do 75°F to 32°F in less than 3 seconds. How does your model do on that range? The spec doesn't give speeds for ranges greater than that. I would suspect that the range of temperatures measured would determine the maximum speed.
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike wrote:
    is this normal behavior? from 32 tot 212 in about 6 seconds. (click for video)

Hi, Stike. Timothy here from ThermoWorks. Cool video.

Remember that water only boils at 212°F at sea level. You can calculate the boiling point where you are at http://www.ThermoWorks.com/BoilingPointCalculator . Looks like its about 211°F (though boiling water is not as stable an environment for temp as a properly made ice bath). Looks like your Thermapen is going from 32 to 210 (within 1°F of the final temp) in about 3 and a half or four seconds and then taking an extra second or two to adjust the final tenths of a degree. That's about normal for that swing.

Should be going from room temp to within 1°F of final temp within 3 seconds in your roast.

Other questions?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Timothy,

I don't have any problems with my Thermapens but I would like to thank you for checking in. I have always heard that your customer service is excellent but that takes it to another level.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I got the new "splash" "yellow" Thermopen and it is fast as hell. My friend has an older one and mine is faster (we ran a few tests).

Timothy I will definitely recommend your product to my friends. Every forum I have visited loves your product as well. You will always have a few complain.
  • Little Steven wrote:
    Timothy,

I don't have any problems with my Thermapens but I would like to thank you for checking in. I have always heard that your customer service is excellent but that takes it to another level.

Steve

Hey, thanks, Steve. Always nice to hear kind words. We have a lot of confidence in our product but when people have frustrations we want to know and see if we can't make it right. By the way, we love Big Green Eggs. Take a peek at some photos of Thermapens and BGEs in the same photos from our recent photo shoot at: http://thermoworks.smugmug.com/ThermometersinUse/PhotoShootOct110/14044270_4aFnM#1046646147_JnhTw

Tim
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Right you are!! I tried in vain several times a few years ago to encourage the folks at BGE to do the same on this forum. BGE customer service is great, but in my opinion, would also go to the next level if this forum was also used at times.
  • stike
    i paused the vid at 32 degrees (just before taking it out), and noted the time, then advanced, stopping when it hit 211 or so, and found it closer to 5 or even 6 seconds.

here's the thing, though... you'll notice that most of the time is taken getting from 209 to 211. it maybe take 5 second to go from 32 to 209, but it's taking the rest of the time to go the next two degrees...

i've tried taking the screw cover off the back, but it will turn only slightly, and the slot is so shallow, anything i use just tears out the plastic
  • stike
    BGE picks and chooses when to answer things here. but i think it becomes a potentially dangerous game (liability wise) when someone posts here as a 'regular' personality, and also sometimes as an official BGE representative.

i agree, there ought to be an official BGE handle registered here, which could handle definitive comments re: feet/no-feet, gaskets, etc.

the fact that there isn't one, is maybe prudent in this sue-happy world. once written here under the imprimatur of an official BGE representative, that policy or declaration is out there forever.

but i do think the current manner of responding, where comments are made from sometimes by an employee who is ALSO an enthusiast (like one of us), can imply things are an official BGE position even when they are just his opinion. in theory... having once declared himself/herself an official spokesman, everything he/she posts becomes an official BGE corporate response. that might not be a good thing for the company...

long way of saying... i think a handle that reads "BGE Co." or something similar, would be a great thing to have, if it were used. That 'person' could weigh in and shut down any rumors, clarify things, etc.

We have been told before that this isn't the official BGE forum, that it is run by fans/enthusiasts. and then conversely we are told sometimes it IS the official BGE forum... i dunno.

seems sometimes it is being played both ways, depending on which way the wind is blowing, and how official they want things to be at the moment.

not a complaint. i just think (personally), it would help everyone if it were made clear.
  • Stike,
    I took a handful of new Thermapens into our NIST-Traceable calibration lab here at ThermoWorks and timed them going from 32.005°F in one controlled liquid bath environment to 212.003°F in another controlled liquid bath environment. Five seconds is not unusual for that big of a swing. The spec is for "From 75°F to 32°F: ≤ 3 seconds to within 1°F" from the Thermapen datasheet (which you can see here: http://www.thermoworks.com/pdf/thermapen_splashproof_datasheet.pdf ). When you time your Thermapen from room temperature to the ice point, does it get to 33°F or below in 3 seconds or less? (be sure that there is no ice floating off the bottom of your glass in your ice bath--the water level should be a bout 1/2 an inch below the top of the ice, stir and let sit a minute before testing your Thermapen by inserting the probe about 2 inches into the ice mixture and stirring while taking your reading--very important).
    Tim
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    If I want slow, I'll use the cheap one I bought at The Home Depot one day. Oh wait. That's what I use. LOL. I was thinking about buying one of these (RED for Canada), but wasn't sure about the value for the $. If they are that slow I don't know why I would bother. I can buy a cheap digital that gives instant readings. They just seem to die if I use them for monitoring the temps of my cooks (even when wrapped in foil).

Hope you get that thing fixed.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I watched the video. Thanks Strike. That is much quicker than my cheapo. I get the end result, but I like quick satisfaction. Don't like keeping the lid open too long. If I can get a reading in under 5 seconds I'd be happy. What colour is the best one....
  • Yellow is best. And as I stated above, I doubt you will get 3 seconds for such a big swing as 32 -212. When you use it for meat you are usually talking about a swing of 80 degrees to 130 or so. Mine works fast. If the OP really is seeing 30-40 seconds, he should call Thermoworks since his is obviously not working.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    Yellow is best.

Are the references to color really true? I'm assuming color is 'just color', but I've been scratching my head reading from time to time that one color is better than another.

Lastly, where's the best source for purchasing?

Thanks!