Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning CI

Options
Cecil
Cecil Posts: 771
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sunday I did Philly cheese steaks for our tailgate (I am convinced this is why the Titans came back to beat the Eagles). I used a square CI coking vessel that now has hard baked on pieces that I am having trouble removing. (It did not sit flush oh the small Egg and got too hot near the handle end). Any cleaning tips?

Walt

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    At the end of your next cook just put it in the fire...it will cook off... :)
  • EggHeadFred
    Options
    I would go to the Lodge Cast Iron site.
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You can fill 3/4 with water, then boil it on the stove. Most of it should release. Use a plastic brush if necessary. Dump out the water and while still hot, pour in a good bit of kosher salt as an abrasive.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    don't try to make it super clean ("dishwasher clean"), other than making sure the cooking surface is free of stuck bits. best way to do that is to scrape anything off that comes off easily while the cast iron is still hot. then use hot water, and (if anything is stubborn) maybe a copper scouring pad.

i honestly don't clean them any more than scrubbing under hot water while they are still hot. they air-dry quickly.

you can actually use a little soap if you want, it won't really ruin the seasoning, but there's really no need to use it. ..and if you don't have to, why bother.

here's the outside of my great grandmother's pan. about as clean as i want it.

Xreheated_xmas_roast.jpg

and here's the inside... mirror smooth
    13Salad.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    CI can crack if laid in/on the coals...

not that i haven't done it. hahaha
    just not with an heirloom piece
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • asianflava
    Options
    Hot water and a brush is all you need. I sometimes use a plastic scraper for stubborn bits.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    i clean mine stove top, its as simple as making gravey. heat the pan up on high til its starting to smoke, pour in a quarter cup water, it will hit the pan sizzling and steaming into a quick boil, while thats happening scrape quickly with a spatula and the stuck bits will lift up off the pan the same way the drippings and burnt offerings do in a roasting pan when making gravey. wipe it clean with a papertowel. never bring a cast iron pan to the sink, its stays stove top or hangs behind the stove. now you have a clean pan, what to do with the stove thats now covered in greasy black crud.... :laugh: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    All good advice...
    And I will add...NEVER use soap!
  • asianflava
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    heat the pan up on high til its starting to smoke, pour in a quarter cup water, it will hit the pan sizzling and steaming into a quick boil,

That's a good way to crack your cast iron.