Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE High Temp Gasket

Options
Eggcellent
Eggcellent Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried the new BGE high temp gasket? I need to replace my original gasket (it only lasted about 6 months) and thought about buying the high temp versus the regular. The new one does not have the adhesive on the back. The directions suggest that you use a 3m 77 spray glue. I have concerns that I might get glue on either the inside or outside of the egg. I realize I could make a shield to keep it off one or the other but I don't know how I could keep the overspray off both.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Masking tape and newspaper might do the trick.
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Some people have sprayed the 77 into a cup, and then brushed it on the egg. I put the Nomex gasket on mine 2 years ago, and it is still going strong.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I am guessing you are talking about the Nomex gasket material. There are a lot of past posts about the Nomex and some great suggestions. Folks say it needs to be pre-shrunk before installing.

I have used a 3M adhesive membrane on the felt gasket which is working pretty well. If it ends up holding up after the winter use I will post more information about the material.

I noticed this adhesive failure just at the right time.
    atg1.jpg

The adhesive just peeled right off of the felt.
    atg2.jpg

Here is the gun I used to apply the adhesive
    atg3.jpg

I ruffed up the adhesive membrane so it could be seen.
    atg4.jpg

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome to the club!! :)

Couple of things to consider. I assume you are referring to BGE's Nomex gasket. Don't know the price of that, but you can buy generic Aramid fiber strips from McMaster-Carr. 45¢/foot for 1/8"x1" strips. Must buy 10' or 50' lengths.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#aramid-fabric/=9g31ng
    scroll to the bottom

For my money, a better idea is the Rutland stove gasket attached with Permatex UltraCopper (not the Rutland adhesive). Installed on base only, not the dome, so you can do it without having to take anything apart. So far, bulletproof!

Ace Hardware carries both (Rutland in the fireplace section, Permatex in Automotive). You want the flat "tape", not the rope (except on the Mini where rope fits perfectly). Also, I think RRP, a member here, has gaskets and instructions available, for whatever size egg you have. You can email him through the forum.

Here's the Rutland on my large (about a year now) and my Mini (recently installed). The orange stuff showing on the Mini is the UltraCopper. Fades to a brownish color after a while. Had similar orange on the large, but as you can see, it's no longer noticeable.

4576460558_2ca20cf960_b.jpg

5114587645_a28e72e2fe_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mjrodney
    Options
    This Rutland gasket idea really intriques me, but as usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short.

I just replaced my OEM felt gasket with the Nomex variety using 3M No. 77 adhesive.

I used blue painters tape and newspaper to completely protect both the inside and outside of the Egg. With the newspaper taped in place, the only part of the egg you could see (and glue) was the gasket mounting area. All overspray went onto the paper.

We'll see how long this Nomex gasket lasts, and I just may have to try the Rutland approach the next time.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    This is exactly what I did and it works perfectly. The permatex works son much better than other adhesives
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY