Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven W/Feet

Greenhorn Green Egger
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry to keep asking questions, but the people on this forum are the best!

I am looking for a cast iron dutch oven and am wondering about ones with feet. I know I have seen this posted before but can't seem to find the thread when I search for it. Do the feet fit through the grate properly without being an issue? Can't seem to find a bigger one ( 8 qt and above) without them.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I have a Lodge 9 qt Dutch oven with no feet. I bought it at Bass Pro Shop...it was around $45. I love it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i use one with the feet, use a pizza stone under it. when i first got it i just used a piece of tin under it sitting on the grill. pretty much anything will work, a drip pan, pizza stone, bricks, etc.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    one plus to the camp version with feet is that the cover can be flipped and used as a griddle plate
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I have a 14 quart with feet. I use it on the cast iron grate (flat side up) and it works great.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    for mine with feet I use my plate setter inverted - with my flat bottom one it sits on the grill. Which one used depends on what I'm making.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    The footed models are great for camping, and the feet will fit between to grid slats for a solid rest. However the flat bottom units are better for egging and general home use IMO. You might want to use it on the stove top at some point. And you can always adapt it for camping if the need arises. As Vidalia1 mentioned, Lodge makes a flat bottom 9qt. If you have no BassPro near you, you can order it from Walmart shipping free to the nearest store.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I found the camp fire DO's (with legs) usually don't fit the grid and usually sit on a little to a lot off level. Another issue was with one of the do's the size of the legs wouldn't allow the DO to sit flat on the grid. The weight of the DO plus the food in the DO would have a tendency to bend the grid wires as well as the grid coming out when moving the DO from the egg.

I ended up grinding them off of 2 of my DO's. With that said if you are going to use them with a fire or briquettes then I would leave them on or buy a DO with legs.

I have found the DO is fantastic when used with a Spider from Ceramic Grill Store.

In this picture this ceramic DO bottom is has a small diameter so I have to use my drip pan on top of the Spider so the DO doesn't slip through the oval ring on the spider. My CI DO and larger DO's do not need the drip pan.

chili1.jpg

The DO and egg are a fantastic duo for cooking some great food.

Pot Roast
    droast2.jpg

doroast3.jpg

doroast7.jpg

Blackened Trout & Catfish

blackncatntrout.jpg

Cioppino
    eggcioppinob.jpg

GG
  • Great! Thanks for the replies. I went with the one from Bass Pro Shop, ordered it online. Wish I had seen that about Wal Mart and shipping first since they hit me for $15. Oh well B) It was still $40 less expensive going through Bass than if you bought it directly from the Lodge website.

Oh, and thanks for the pics. Looks delicious!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    We will be expecting a pic of it full of Gumbo or sumpin very soon. :)
  • I will do that. My Egg is in Florida and we are headed down next week. Planning on using it for as many meals as possible (breakfast too). I will try to keep it hot for a week and a half :lol: I know some will be in the DO ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

You are going to love it. Breakfeast, Lunch and Dinner.

All easy and great cooks.

Omlet
    omletpineapple.jpg

Simple Tuna Melt
    tunamelt_1.jpg

tunamelt_2.jpg

tunamelt_3.jpg

Pork
    charsui2.jpg

charsui4.jpg

GG