Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest 2000 Newbie - a mini for the boat?

Hokie Smoke
Hokie Smoke Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1st post - all my questions have answered so far in the archives![p]I purchased one of the demo eggs from Eggfest 2000 and have a great month cooking steks, chicken, burgers and ribs. I picked up the Egg CAT was cooking on. At the time I wasn't aware of her celebrity status. Also a belated thank-you to spin for assisting in loading the new egg into my van. I am considering purchasing a mini for for my sailboat. Has anyone heard of any mounting brackets suitable for securing a mini on a boat?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Hokie Smoke,
    JJ is your man on this one. I have never heard of a gimbal that big for an Egg on a boat - but maybe JJ has.[p]Tim

• Hokie Smoke,[p]I was unable to find anything off the shelf to mount my mini on the boat. However a local welding shop should be able to construct a gimble mount for you out of stainless. I would check with your insurance company before have a mount built. My guide/charter insurance company did not like the idea.....[p]Ashley

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Ashley,
    I am surprised that they would have given you that info as both Force10 and Magma both sell charcoal BBQ grills that are recognized and accepted by the Marine Insurance industry. By the use of a gimble it would be much safer than either a floor stand or a rail mount.

• JJ,[p]It has more to do with liabilty with customers than a loss and the type and size of my boat(bass boat). They will write the policy, but for a price....[p]Ashley

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Tim M,
    Do you do gimbal low and slow or hot and fast?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Ashley,
    Has a great ring to it for clients though!
    "On-board traditional smoked BBQ. Enjoy a great meal cooked while you fish. Temperature controlled by dual-operational trolling motor/damper control foot pedal."[p]The headlines say "clients fish thru the heat of summer!!"[p]Could be worth the price of the policy.
    Heee! Been hanging around Gretl too much today.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Hokie Smoke,[p]I would check with the marina where you keep your boat, if you keep it at a marina and not at your own dock. Our marina slip rental agreement forbids any charcoal grills on the boats or the docks. Only propane grills are allowed. Just worth looking into before making the plunge to buy the egg.[p]Troy
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Hokie Smoke,[p]A belated welcome to the family and a hearty welcome to the forum. I'm glad your Egg traveled safe.[p]Spin

• Deacon
    Deacon Posts: 13
    Hokie Smoke, I did have a stainless charcoal on my sailboat and it was covered by insurance with no problems, however, and I am new at this, because it is ceremic and because of the motion, what would happen if it cracked when loaded, this isn't normally a problem with the stainless, but could be with the ceremic. Hope it turns out well for you. Deacon