Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First BGE Cook!

Options
The Bean
The Bean Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I got our first BGE at Eggtoberfest this year and finally were back home to cook on it this weekend.

First cook was 2 Pork Tenderloins....(1) marinated in lime juice, honey, and garlic (tasted this at Eggtoberfest and it was great) and then (2)was a "standard" bbq rub I got off line.

Both came out so tender and juicy....I personally have never cooked a Tenderloin that juicy before!

Temperature management was a little tricky at first but I played around with vent and daisy wheel openings for a couple of hours to see what settings would give what results....then put the meat on.

I'm hooked!!!

I'll try to post some pictures if I can figure out how to hook the camera up to the laptop.

BTW....Eggtoberfest was a BLAST!! Everyone was nice enough to share tips, recipes, etc. Thanks! Free beer tickets didn't hurt either...long line for an Egg (I think we were one of the last 5 cars) but luckily for me all I had to do was sit in the passenger seat and digest all the beer and food while the sober wife drove! We'll be back next year for sure.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Welcome!! Can't go wrong with pork tenderloins!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    It's always a good plan to have a DD along! :woohoo:

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the madness!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Steelers252006
    Options
    Sounds like that pork tenderloin with the honey marinade was awesome!! Care to share that marinade, would love to try it? Welcome aboard!! :side:
  • The Bean
    Options
    Steelers - we used equal parts honey and lime juice and then a heaping spoonfull of garlic. Soaked it for about 8 hours. The cooking team at Eggtoberfest also put some cilantro and some chili's in theirs. We skipped the cilantro and chilis....I would suggest soaking it a little longer than 8 hours, we have some parts that were very flavorfull and others that needed more. All had a great flavor, just some more than others.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Glad ya'll are loving it! I got my first one 2 1/2 years ago and my wife got her's this year.

You are going to have so much fun finding out everything that Egg can do!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Deggman
    Deggman Posts: 56
    Options
    Congrats!! I got my XL about 2 and a half months ago and it is awesome! I use to bbq about 3 times a week on the gassy but now it seems like whenever we have dinner at home, at least something prepared on the egg! Have fun!
  • redneck6497
    Options
    Glad you're having a good time with it! Welcome!
  • redneck6497
    Options
    Glad you're having a good time with it! Welcome!
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Welcome to the best forum on the net....Hope you enjoy your egg as much as I enjoy mine.