Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ash Tool for Mini, $3000

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been meaning to make an ash tool for my mini and finally did it. Works great, but my powder coat gun was on the fritz and didn't work too well. I'll probably have to redo that if it starts to rust.

All I needed was some scrap angle iron, a 3/16" steel rod, a dead dogwood branch for the handle and...

a 2-stage air compressor
a sandblast cabinet
a Mig welder
a powder coat gun
sigh, and a dedicated kitchen stove to cure to pc (it's in my garage :))
a drill press to drill the hole in the handle
a horizontal bandsaw to cut the pieces!
Oh, and a drawknife and spokeshave to debark and smooth the handle.

I tried turning a nice looking handle on the lathe, but I'm not very good at it. Gave up after I trashed two blanks and cut myself!

About $3000 worth of tools, some Neosporin and a band-aid, to make a $10 ash tool! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5114587645_a28e72e2fe_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

hehehehehehe!!!

That's how I get my tools too. Nice looking ash tool though.

Kent
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I just knew we were related! :ohmy: :laugh: :P :woohoo: :silly: :cheer:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    but think of the cost incrementally - the next one you make will bring the cost down for both to a mere $1,500
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PineyWoodsBrewer
    Options
    I like the way you roll.....
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    more. I think my powdercoat gun is toast. hahaha

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    well, I DO have relatives in Cincinnati! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    I resemble that remark... painted my kitchen cabinets... ended up with 2 new Stanley Max sawhorses!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I've had most of that stuff for some years now. The only thing I actually bought to make the ash tool was the steel rod. But a $3000 ash tool makes a better headline. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, Kent. I was restoring an old car once upon a time. Needed two simple sheet metal parts that cost about $100 ea. For $200, I bought a sheet metal brake instead. Made the two parts and broke even. Haven't used the brake much since then... but I COULD! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Sounds like the cost of me catching a bonefish or a trout! And then I don't even keep 'em. Nice finished product though, Scott
  • TnVolKen
    TnVolKen Posts: 198
    Options
    Just what I am looking for, but the $3000 price tag might be a little high.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Story of my life! :blush:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Yes but it looks soo nice. :lol:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I'm having a sale next week. 50% off! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    You 'carpenter' like I carpenter. I like you.

Spring "Real Carpenters Bleed For A Reason" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    "Bleed for a reason", huh? I don't want to delve too deeply into what that reason might be. :laugh: :blush: Over the years, I've been bitten by a tablesaw, a router, an angle grinder, a few knives, a drill press and a lathe. More, I'm sure, but those come immediately to mind.

The kicker is, right before it happens, I'm usually thinking... I could get hurt doing this!

Sigh.......

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Davecooksslow
    Options
    But It looks real nice.....

Dave in Plumas County
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    This was my last encounter with a table saw.

LeroysSawedFingers.jpg

Now I have a lot more respect for table saws, not to mention complete fingers.

Spring "$&#@$!()@#! Is The Language Of Absent Minded Carpenters" Chicken
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I like my toys too but I think Bordello may have a better thing going.............maybe we can get him to swap some............t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Man, you really didn't have to post that!! I haven't had dinner yet! :laugh: None of my injuries have even come close. Makes you pay more attention though... sometimes.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Tom . . . check your email, plz
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Tom, surely you don't mean THOSE toys! Do you? :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LOVE IT!!! B)
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    Projects are always an excuse to by new tools!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have had some of my BGE tools powdercoated over the last 6 years and find that ,eventho they are fired around 450F they have a tendence to chip, peel and blister over time. This includes my meat tongs which hardly see high heat. If I were to do it over I would save the money for other toys and use them as they are sold, stainless, black porcelain etc. PS you can save many $$$ by not doing the job.

Vertical poultry holder

BEERBUTTSTAND.jpg

Veggie basket

VEGGIEHOLDER.jpg

Meatloaf basket. The handles hang over the end and have become schorched over the years.

MEATLOAFROASTER.jpg
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I love making stuff...I always get new tools. :woohoo: Nice ash tool btw. :)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • RogerT
    RogerT Posts: 53
    Options
    Wow! You're a lucky guy to have something left there for them to sew up. Most that have that encounter with a Table Saw are not that lucky. Almost lost a finger to a Skilsaw a bunch of years back, I can relate to what you went through.

Roger
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Actually, all of the other toys were purchased for different reasons over the years. The only out of pocket specifically for powder coating was the gun itself. $50-60 as I recall. Because the firing temp is so low (400° in my case), I wouldn't have thought of doing it for anything that goes into the egg. I use the ash tool before I light the egg (well, usually anyway) so heat won't be an issue. If the bands, hinges etc start to rust, I will pc them and see how it goes.

The green is cool though. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks. New tools are always good. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I thought you might. :laugh:

Got a package from you today. Holy CRAP!!! Bomba don't hold a candle!!!!! Thanks, my friend - much appreciated!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut