Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Loving the Cast Iron Grate/Spider combo!

JBUG99999
JBUG99999 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We used our new cast iron grate with the spider tonight. WOW! What an awesome dinner! After much reading, we decided to try the TRex method and got the BGE up to 700 with the legs down on the spider. I didn't have the spicy mustard as called for in the receipe, so I used a little yellow mustard (hey it works for pork butts, so why not!?!?!). Here are pictures of the steaks we picked up. Oh, yeah, we had them open up a brand new hunk of meat out of the cyrovac package and had them cut a little over 2 inches thick...

fba5de32.jpg

cbef41f5.jpg

We quickly seared them, then let the rest for 20 minutes while we got the egg down to 400. Went 7 minutes, flipped and pulled after an additional 7 minutes.

f71be255.jpg

Tented in foil, for a dwell, and then...

01098955.jpg

They were awesome! Somehow, each ended up cooked to perfection like each person wanted. :)

We're loving the new cast iron grate and spider combo. Tomorrow we're using the wok again for some Orange Chicken Chinese. Tuesday, we have some pretty pork chops to sear...

Can't wait!

Comments

• Julie:

Those look fabulous! I recently picked up the small CI and agree that it is great!! Did Korean beef Friday night, then pulled CI and dropped in wok for stir fry vegetables. Awesome....and leftovers today with some corn and kim chee

IMG00005-20101024-1837.jpg

(Sorry to jump your thread, but didn't take cook pix - only tonite's leftovers)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great job on your steaks Julie.

I do them 400F dome legs on the spider up. That way the steak is seared right above the searing hot coals (this temp is much hotter than 400F) then after the sear I place my adjustable rig (if you don't have the rig no problem just use a raised grid) in with the steak on the top setting for the dwell. Using this technique I don't have to wait for the egg to cool and I leave my spider where it was. :)
  • JBUG99999
    2fategghead:
    Sounds like an interesting technique. I thought I read some where that the 20 minute rest while the egg was cooling down helped the meat relax after the sear???

BigGreenGregg: Leftovers look awesome! Wish we could have seen the first cook pix, too! Thanks for sharing!
  • 2Fategghead
    JBUG99999 wrote:
    2fategghead:
    Sounds like an interesting technique. I thought I read some where that the 20 minute rest while the egg was cooling down helped the meat relax after the sear???

Julie, Your way works. There is nothing wrong with it. ;) Tim
  • JBUG99999
    Does the other way work just as well? Willing to try it, since it sounds so much faster and easier, just curious if the results will be as good?
  • 2Fategghead
    Hey Julie, Hope your having a good day. :)

In my opinion I believe the cook will go faster (cause you won't have to let the egg cool off in the middle of the cook)if you sear down low with a 400F dome. Keep in mind your spider legs up will fit up against the burning lump in your fire box. I never measured it but, I have heard some say 800 - 1200F. Like I said if you want to start a new post asking "Who all likes to sear using the spider legs up?" then ask how hot the lump gets and how they finish their cook. I'm sure you will get tons of info. You know it's possible not everyone will agree. :)

Then pull the meat and put you raised setup in and your meat thermometer in and let it finish like that.

Be sure to pull the meat out 5 to 10 degrees earlier because during the rest period the internal meat temp will rise. Tim :)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    that looks great.

now that i have my spider and adjustable rig, i don't really know how i cooked without them.
  • JBUG99999
    Thanks! We used the spider legs up and the cast iron to sear some pork chops tonight. Then, we dropped the raised grate on (our rigged one, still waiting on the fancy Woo Extender from the Ceramic Grill Store) and finished them right away. That worked out well, much faster and seemed pretty tasty. So tasty that no pictures were taken although the camera was prominently on the dining room table while we were scarfing down the pork. :blush:
  • 2Fategghead
    That's good to hear Julie. :) Now you can see what you like best and tweak on it. ;) Tim