Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regina's or Santarpio's in Boston?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK you Boston area dudes - tonight on Food Channel was some smack down whatever show that could be years old but new to me. What is YOUR opinion and just for cost comparison would you tell me what say a comparable 14" "deluxe" pizza costs at both places. One other question...does the Santarpio's method of putting the cheese down first on the dough and then adding the sauce work for you at home? Thanks!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• nlsteve
    nlsteve Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm not a Bostonian, but am a frequent tourist there. I can't answer your post spot-on, but I can tell you that I do think Pizzeria Regina in the North End (not their food kiosks elsewhere) is worth a visit.

Good brick-oven pizza in the setting of a "neighborhood institution." You should go. I have had very good Napoli-style pizzas elsewhere in newer & fancier joints, but it's not the same experience.

Steve
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    When I make a pie,I ALWAYS put a layer of sliced cheeze on first,then sauce and other toppings.I like the results. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have lived here all my life but have never been to Santarpio's. That said, I know people who go there think of it as the Pizza Promised Land. They say there is no comparison between Santarpio's and any other pizza.

Pizzaria Regina in the North End is probably the easier to get to of the two as Santarpio's is like an immediate right after emerging from the tunnel from Boston going toward the Airport.

When I was in college I worked summers in the North End and Pizzaria Regina was our favorite place to go. I remember a lot of talk about other places in the North End, but P.R. was our favorite. Unfortunately I haven't been there since the early '80's (maybe even the late '70's)

At Pizzaria Regina you can also walk around and check out the neighborhood, maybe walk off your pizza and have a cappucino and dessert at one of those places that specialize in that part of the meal. At Santarpio's, I don't think there's anything else in the neighborhood worth seeing.

So in the end I would say I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Santarpio's is probably one of a kind, I just can't speak from personal experience. I guess I'll just have to go there!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I also have never had Santarpio's, due to their previous out of the way location, though they are expanding and have more than one location now.

That being said Regina is only worth it if you go to the original...the kiosks are "fast food" pizza. Part of the charm is the old school restaurant....

For slices I like Ernesto's in the North End though now I'm getting off topic :)
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    I live three blocks from Regina's. I have been to Santarpio's a few times. Regina's is the better pie. Try the Capricosa.