Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Grinding Question

ChefAl
ChefAl Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I enjoy making our own ground beef from whatever nice steak cuts happen to be on sale. Today we did T-bone, Porterhouse, and Chuck and boy was it yummy.

The only problem that I seem to have is the patties tend to fall apart a bit. So my question is what do you all use to help bind up the meat... eggs, breadcrumbs, both?

If you do have a method, please let me know what you use per 1 pound of meat. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Al,

I find dehydrated onion flakes work really well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I always add an egg and a handful of bread crumbs. Also, a trick to keep the patties flat and not turning into a round ball.......just before you put them on the grid, use your finger to punch a hole in the center of them. The hole will close and the patty will stay flat.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    might not be enough fat...
    i tend to grind up cheaper cuts.. the grinding is what makes them tender. porterhouse is strip and tenderloin, both not too fatty.

try buying a brisket and grinding that. damn good. the fat will hold things together, and if you are grinding your own, they can be much more safely cooked to rare temps, or medium rare. that will keep them together too (less dry being not overcooked)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Agreed on this, but I will add that I put the patties in the freezer 30-45 minutes so they are easier to handle.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    how about coarseness of the grind....does that matter too......gotta "dig" the brisket burger......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • KenHawk
    KenHawk Posts: 58
    I have an idea that I would like stike's opinion on. Charcuterie (the book) calls for mixing the meat before stuffing. That really helps the texture.

Would burgers stick together better if we mixed the ground meat until those "little hairs" formed?

I once mixed meatloaf in the blender only to find the loaf dense, but perhaps we mixed it too long. It was ten years ago. Maybe we should have mixed it manually.