Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcock Question

JerseyEggerJerseyEgger Posts: 283
edited 6:26AM in EggHead Forum
I saw the vid on VWB on spatchcocking. Should I brine before or after I butterfly the bird, or does it even matter?
·

Comments

• EggspertEggspert Posts: 142
    IMHO I wouldn't even worry about brining. If cooked to the right temp, that yard bird will be mighty juicy.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,410
    Don't brine, better to leave uncovered in fridge overnight and produces better skin....
    It is going to be juicy....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Woody69Woody69 Posts: 360
    Mickey wrote:
    Don't brine, better to leave uncovered in fridge overnight and produces better skin....
    It is going to be juicy....

What he said. To me, there is no easier, or better way to do a whole chicken.
    ·
  • LOL I didnt want to turn this into another brine or no brine thread. I'll rephrase the question.. Spatchcock before or after the overnight in the fridge? :laugh:
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    What Mickey said, although overnite in the fridge certainly won't hurt, I find3-4 hrs is plenty. Put some rub on first, the salt helps the drying process.

It will be the best chicken you ever ate :woohoo:
    ·
  • OK OK I wont brine!!! :side:
    ·
  • i don't think it would make much difference. I brine when I have planned far enough ahead. If not, dry well in fridge for 3 or 4 hrs, if I've planned that far ahead.
    Dave in Plumas County
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,324
    depends on how you set the bird in the fridge....if you can set whole (not spatchcock) with full skin exposed that is ok, if not spatch and lay skin side up.

On brining, check the package label. chances are the bird has already been injected. good to get in the habit to check chicken and pork in the store for "solution added" type phrases.....if possible, I try to avoid those cuts!
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·