Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$635 un/F believeable!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I was thinking the same thing. Apparently he wanted us to see an egg on ebay that sold for $635. And why use the F word, why not just say "hey guys, did you see this egg that somebody didn't like and sold on ebay"

Guess they aren't NEW, huh RRP
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Eggs are'nt for everyone.I even told my dealer that if he would sponsor it,I would do an Egg Q&A(I sure ain't no eggspert) at his Dealership on a Sat mornin.He said thanks,but no thanks."I make good money off of folks that cannot figure it out selling them back to me." :huh: :unsure: :ermm:
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    The good folks at BGE should make this website a mandatory part of registering their new egg :), then I think you would see less "slightly used egg sales" due to "I don't like it,aka I can't figure it out" :lol: But then again.. there goes some good opprotunities for someone that can get a good deal and actually use it!
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I would not call that a good deal. Thats more than I paid for mine new three years ago. That one has no warranty.
  • I watched that sell as well - hard to figure. It doesn't seem like they even gave it a chance.

RRP-Had the wings last night - very good. Thanks for the help.
  • I think a lot of folks jump in because they think they can just light and go. There is technique just in lighting the thing that is required. So I think us Eggheads (well at least myself any way) enjoy that. We enjoy messing around with the thing until we get it right. We have already decided we'll burn the time necessary to get it lit, to cook, and to cool down.
    -Eddie
  • RRP
    Thank you for being the first person to get my point!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Same here - and in my discussions with the wife of the seller their mind was SO closed against the egg - it was a matter of like don't help me I hate this thing!

Glad you enjoyed the wings!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ron...

some people just aren't into it. it is no reflection on you that someone is going aroound bad-mouthing the BGE.

if you were talking to your neighbor, or in-laws or family, and they said something negative, of course you might feel denigrated. but even then, so what? no matter what the issue, we cannot blame others for what we perceive as their "ignorance". and if we consider them ignorant, well then it can't really take anything away from us and our experience, just because they don't appreciate what we appreciate.

i use "ignorance" in quotes, because that is a slippery slope.

i'll just say that as an example, if i told showed you one of the books from my collection, and you thought it was interesting, and asked how much it cost, and i told you.... well, you might say "that's crazy", and walk away.

should i feel lessened because you thought it was crazy? nah. you say it's crazy, but i should walk away saying 'well, he just doesn't understand/enjoy it like i do'. if i were to continue on worrying about why you didn't like it, or that you might be telling anyone and everyone that my collection is a waste of time, it would achieve nothing. other than occupying my mind with stuff i have no control over.

and at the end of the day, it doesn't affect the value of my collection either. ;) ..or how much i value it (which are entirely two different things).

this is the third post or so in a week where you are lamenting that someone you don't even know is selling the egg, or doesn't know how to use it or appreciate it.

screw it.

if everyone had one and loved it, it wouldn't be cool to own it and be the rare person that knows how to use it...

smile and nod politely. that's what i have learned in my moderate time on this earth. i have discovered that no matter how clearly you try to explain yourself, people will still think what they want to think of you. in everything. everything.

next time you see a craigslist ad where the guy says he hates his egg, shrug, and do something else. otherwise you are giving that guy a chunk of your life/time/effort that 1.) you can't get back and 2.) he doesn't value
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    we all get your point.

i see it like this... the reason it sold so high is that a person who doesn't like their egg at all found a guy who really does. :laugh:

so much so he bought it on impulse.

forgive them their ignorance..... they know not what they do (and more important, you can't MAKE them understand by willing it or lamenting it).

if you have vinyl siding on your house, i guarantee there's nothing i can say that will make you regret putting it on, right? so why should i bother?
  • Some people aren't meant to be Eggheads, just as some people aren't meant to be parents.

Spring "Egghead Of Three, Parent Of None" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • stike
    i agree. but i think you'll agree it's not only futile, but presumptuous to go up to someone without kids (or an egg, or a 'whatever') and tell them they don't know what they are missing. and it's far worse to judge them for it

as an aside... some people who own eggs and use them and love the food from them aren't 'eggheads' either. :laugh:

we all have our own personal levels of worship for things... i try not to begrudge those that worship (whatever it is) more or less than i do
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Crimsongator wrote:
    I was thinking the same thing. Apparently he wanted us to see an egg on ebay that sold for $635. And why use the F word, why not just say "hey guys, did you see this egg that somebody didn't like and sold on ebay"

Guess they aren't NEW, huh RRP

clearly feels passionate about it.

At the end of the day, not everyone wants to come home and go through the effort of lighting these puppies up. We live in a world of convenience... microwaves/gassers/ etc...
    context is important :)
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Did I miss something? It's just a LBGE sold on Ebay right? People sell all sorts of things. You can't tell me this person didn't like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lamborghini-Diablo-VT-6-0-SE-2001-LAMBORGHINI-DIABLO-VT-6-0-SE-SPECIAL-EDITION-37-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230b08ccdaQQitemZ150508981466QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Then again there are numberous Lambos on EBAY. LOL.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    maybe didn't like the speeding tickets? :woohoo:
    context is important :)
  • Maybe the real reason he sold it is that the family has hit hard times like many in this economy but was just too proud to say so and or he didn't want to sound desperate.
  • RRP
    no - that is not the case - they bought it in January and never used it until May and then only cooked on it 5 times. They did not like the length of time it took to heat nor liked the taste of the food. We all know these issues could have been remedied, but I no longer care!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Just a grill dude, just a grill. Relax and take deep breaths. :woohoo:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Who the hell drops a quarter mill for a Lambo and gets the thing in turd brown? There's gotta be a reason it only has 2200 miles in 9 years. I'd be embarrassed to be known as the guy driving around in the 200MPH butt dumpling.

I'd sell it too. Gives to meaning to the phrase "piece of sh.." I guess.
  • RRP
    I could not care less about the seller - my point and I'm really getting sorry I even started this thread was the buyer was the dummy here to pay $635 for even a slightly used egg since it has no warranty. Once he has to replace his first firebox he will have more invested than what he would have paid for a brand new one and especially one purchased at a discount at most any eggfest. That was all I was trying to say in THIS thread.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    That may be why it only has 2200 miles on it. He may have been embarassed to drive it around because it was "turd brown". I have a feeling someone with enough change to drop on a ride like that probably don't really care what color it is. All they care about is owning a 200MPH Diablo. Some things can be pulled off in a lamborghini, and I guess "turd brown" is one of them.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    True, but don't start the post with "un/F believeable" and the just post the link. What is so unbelieveable. A new large egg right now is in the $750 range and a nest is over $125. If you add anything else and tax, you are close to $1k for a combo. Somebody who is close and wants that egg was willing to pay $635 for it. It is a 30% discount on a used egg. BTW, you can't compare a demo in Atlanta to a used egg in other parts of the country. Shipping is different and it will cost you more or less in other places.

Would I pay $635 for a used large, nope. I already have a large. I would consider one at $500 and be a buyer under $450, just because. Same things for other sizes. My threshold is $200 for a S, $300 for a M and $650 for an XL.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Ron,

Yes you do. :laugh:
  • stike
    sorry if i peeved you in my replies. was trying to explain to you how it looked to some of us, and to do so in a way that was thought out and not at all hostile.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    ... throughout the five days, other bidders were leap-frogging each other except the winning bidder who waited till the last minute and topped the then highest bid by $10:
    bid.jpg
    canuckland
  • RRP
    Jeff,
    your words and wisdom were well stated and I thank you. BTW you'll have email in a short short!
  • stike
    i have never bid more than 4 seconds before the end of the auction, and sometimes beat the other guy by a dollar or two....

;)

eSnipe.com

i bid once, days sometimes before the auction closes. it will add my bid at the end, with 4 seconds lef, adding the minimum required to get the item (as long as it is still under or up to my max bid)
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I have to agree with you. We have a kind of new friend who has been hemming and hawing about buying an egg for two years now. At first I was encouraging him but I realized this guy has trouble lighting his gas grill. I'm really not up to all the support he would need using an egg so I stopped the encouragement. They are good parents though. :laugh: