Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stage-two pizza dough with o-verbose commentary

2»

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    And hear I thought I was doing a how to post today before I saw yours!!! :pinch: Wow Zip my friend that is outstanding. I got this saved to favorites! How are you doing?!! Have been missing "Happy in the Hut" More beer. You will post more if you drink more beer for that means you will be cook'en more. ;)
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Jack, Appollo is definitely a step up, but if you’re going that far, you may as well walk the extra 2 blocks & pick up a Little Anthony’s, particularly their Sicilian, good stuff.

As for the thinness, I think both doughs can be worked into very thin stages. The cold rise dough is much more delicate though and seems to give way a lot faster, so it may be easier to actually increase the diameter of the pie with the same quantity of dough as compared to the other – but on the other hand, because of this it is also more susceptible to tearing.

What is shown in the show & still photos is the 3-12 inch pies per batch measurements, so roughly 1.33 cups of flour are in there. If you want really thin, go with splitting this into 4-12 inch pies
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: drinking hutting posting all do seem to go hand in hand buddy, how are you doing? New puppy eating you out of smoke shack & home yet?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I checked in to my hotel and they weren't done cleaning my room, so I went into the business room to check emails, and looked in on the forum.....and I find THIS!

Zippy. I have been struggling with dough for months. I'm going to try this, and am so grateful for your detailed post.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Another outstanding pizza post! Now as you go down the path you've started... introduce some Caputo "00" My last batch (also done with the cold rise / hydration method) was 50/50 bread flour and "00". The difference was amazing. Better or worse is in the eye of the beholder but I think I got it much closer to neapolitan style... maybe...
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Zips, I have to read this later when I have more time :P . My first reaction is.....you must be getting paid by the word. :woohoo:
    BC
  • The flour is everything in pizza, isn't it? Since the OP used "bleached flour", it was definitely going to be softer in texture than an AP unbleached crust. But bleaching negatively affects the taste (to me)...upthread, some folks asked about freezing. Not only is it fine, but aged dough will have improved browning than very fresh/fast-risen pizza.
  • zippy ... thanks for taking the time to do this and share with us ... love pizza and will try your new method soon ... good job
  • Awesome - nicely done!

I can't say enough about pizzamaking.com (is it wrong to pimp another site here? :ermm: ) When you go to the site on the left side you'll see a link to their "dough tools"

The expanded calculator and the preferment calculator are fantastic. Varasano's website has a link to some crazy spreadsheet that I've figured out how to use, but these online calculators are all you need. You can play around with hydration, oil, sugar content, etc. and solve for measurements based on how many pizzas you want to make.

Using preferment (wild yeast) I have a concoction made at about 63% hydration made very similar to this method here. My stone was around 650 last night and have to agree- that's a perfect temp for a wet dough like this, you can really amp up the temperature.

Great post!