Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"THE Chicken" sauce question

Egglectic
Egglectic Posts: 95
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    If you use the sauce by itself or just pour it over the chicken it is very hot.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    If you find it too hot the one ingredient to cut back or omit is the cayenne.

Nothing else in that recipe is overly hot.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    You do have to remember that your pepper that you put in can range in heat.

I have two ground red pepper and one will blow your head off and the other is just warm and that alone can make the difference.
  • Egglectic
    edited August 2011
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    One other thing that could change the heat is the type of hot sauce you use. Recipe calls for Louisiana Hot Sauce...which is a brand, but also a type. My wife came home with Trappeys Lousiana Hot sauce and the end result was not too spicy.

Like Cap'n said- I found that if you smelled it or tasted it directly it was purty darn hot, but once on the chicken after the rest I didn't find it too hot at all. Not sure what the magic is...maybe the chicken fat/flour on the skin dilutes it :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Egglectic
    edited August 2011
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I suppose you could try the sauce by itself to make sure it is not too hot. I have tried the Louisiana brand and don't recall it being crazy hot...but they have different varieties. Make sure you don't have the habenero!

Also- when I made this I mixed up a batch of "weak sauce" for my 2 youngest. I just used all the non-spicy ingredients and then some thin BBQ sauce. They really enjoyed it. Note that it is no longer "the chicken" if you mess with the recipe...it is just "some chicken".

I used the original "the chicken" recipe for my myself, wife, and oldest and we all loved it. It had some kick- about the level of mild buffalo wings.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.