Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Teriyaki Chicken

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A thousand pardons for no pictures. I know; if there are no pictures, it didn't happen. But, I wanted to post something cause I think I've hit on a good recipe/technique for chicken.

I marinated a whole spatchcocked young hen in homemade teriyaki sauce (soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, black pepper) for 18 hours. Then it was drained on a rack uncovered in the fridge for 3 hours, then set on the counter for a half hour while the Egg heated up. I set it up raised rig direct at 375. Once rolling steady I added one small hickory chunk and a handful of apple chips, then set the bird on skin up. It cooked for just over an hour. During the last 10 minutes, I cranked it up to 425 to brown the skin. I pulled it at 160 breast and let it rest for 5 minutes. It broke down into pieces very easily and everything was moist, tender, and flavorful. My thoughts were; we like teriyaki chicken wings, so why not make the whole bird that way. Definitely a keeper. Next time, I may flip the chicken at the end to crisp the skin some more but everything else was good.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That sounds like a keeper and will try.
    We do our spatchcock chicken the same way.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.