Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Polder Instant Read??

Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a question. Been reading your posts about the "Polder Instant Read" Thermo. I have a pretty good ordinary thermo to check internal temps of meat. Is a Polder that much better? What are the advantages? Or is Eggsperience actually better than poking around the innerds of meat with any thermo? I hate Drs. doing that to me and I suspect too much poking may be counter-productive to the meat.[p]Char-Woody says KISS (Keep it simple). That's my bent. I'm an old photographer who learned years ago the most basic camera without all the fancy gadgets is best. I suspect that may carry-over to smoking. Am I right? Or does something like a Polder really improve the cooking.[p]Also how much does a Polder cost? And any other details that you may give me to help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.[p]Anthony Up North

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Anthony Up North,
    You can get Polders for 20 bucks or so. Tuesday Morning had a sale for 10 bucks (not sure if it is still on).[p]The advantage of a polder is being able to monitor your internal meat temps outside the egg. Humpty seems to do his magic best the less it is opened. A polder allows you to keep a steady eye on the temps without fussing with opening the egg, and waiting for a reading on your standard meat thermo. The whole time your egg is opened, your meat is cooling, and the fire is getting extra oxygen.[p]Just a few thoughts
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]Is it used only for lower temp cooking. Someone said that higher heat (above 350) will damage the wire. But I suppose most long term cooking is at lower heat! Is that right?[p]Anthony Up North

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Anthony Up North,
    Long term cooking is most definately low and slo. The probe can not take temps of 350* or better. BTW, I cook mostly by using time vs using a thermometer to achieve the results I want.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Anthony Up North,[p]Here's the "el cheapo" talking. I've had one of those glass shaft metal tip thermometers with the metal back with the temperature guage on it, used it for years. When I'm cooking low and slow I simply leave that thermometer in the meat, stuck in a position so when I look down the chimney of the egg I can see the temperature. I use a flashlight to see inside. Keeps the lid closed, heat in, and lets me know how hot things are. I never use a temperature for medium cooks like chicken breasts or hot sear cooks like steaks or burgers, experience has taught me approximate times for this stuff. For whole chickens my instant read pocket thermometer works fine. I'll get a Polder when my metal thermometer shoots craps but its been holding on for quite some time now. Probably accurate within 5 degrees +/-, close enough for me.[p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Anthony Up North,
    I really like the Polder Instant read thermometer but it is different than the probe model. I called Polder (they just sell them - they don't actually make them so they are available under many names) 800-431-2133 ext 245 - ask for Denise and ordered extra probes for $6 and the instant read for $18-19?. The probe is used for low and slow long term cooking while the instant read is for quick checks at higher temps. It has a memory so you can stick it, wait 20 seconds and remove it and read the memorized high temp. Nice feature.[p]Tim

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Anthony Up North,
    To me, egging with out a polder is like taking pictures with out a light meter. Sure you can do it but the results are not the same. [p]I do not always use the wire probe, but I at least use the timer. I do not know how cooked without one.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]