Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peppers.........and more peppers!

eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My egg must be sending out subliminal messages to roast peppers. This weekend I got a surprise package from Hoss. I was almost afraid to open the package because I could smell the peppers emanating from the box. :evil: When I opened the box there were all types of beautiful fresh peppers. Then on Saturday, while shopping at Jungle Jim’s, Bitslammer brought my attention to the fact that there was a special on poblanos. 99cents a lb. How could I resist? I put 12 lbs in my cart. Victim of another impuse buy.

Hoss’ peppers with 12 lbs of poblanos:
IMG_5232-1.jpg

Roasted the poblanos in 2 batches:
IMG_5247.jpg
The poblanos were then peeled and deseeded and vacuum packed. These are destined mainly for Chili verde and scrambled eggs.

Roasting Hoss’ peppers on a screen. I just love the bright red, green, and yellow colors.
IMG_5260.jpg

I’ve never put up small peppers before, so I really didn’t know what I was doing. One thing I figured out is that you can’t peel the small peppers, especially the habernos. I cored the peppers and put some aside to cook with and I froze the others. I might make a sauce later. I got to thinking that I probably just should have made a sauce with roasting the peppers. One thing I noticed, after the pepper prep as I was typing this post on my keyboard my finger tips were burning. The heat from my computer which I had left on all day must have synergized the capsaicin oils remaining on my fingers. My fingers were burning so bad I had to quit typing.
IMG_5300.jpg

How do you put up peppers?

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Freeze them in the desired amounts. Double glove next time. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Rebecca,

Ha! The habaneros do get a bit warm. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Rebecca I use peppers for everything I just made two batches of tabasco and two of a smoked hot sauce.have fun and enjoy the good eats!!

GOOD EATS AND GOODS FRIENDS

DALE
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Rebecca, be careful with the habs, they can hurt you. I like to pickle the milder peppers. The habs can go directly to the freezer in a ziplock. I had some that I used in cooking over 6 years. -RP
  • eenie meenie
    Molly, I can't believe I got stuff through the surgical gloves. Maybe I'll try double gloving the next time. What a pain.
  • eenie meenie
    Steven, I figured I was safe with gloves.....not.
  • eenie meenie
    Dale, how do you make your smoked pepper sauce? I bet your tabasco sauce is 100 times better than the brand.
  • eenie meenie
    Randy, most of them are safely in the freezer as I type. I'd like to try my hand at pickling, but I don't have the time right now for all the sterilization rigamaroo.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I make pickled peppers that don't go through the canning process. I like the crunch of an uncooked pepper. Go to youtube and search pickling peppers, you'll get some ideas, pretty simple. -RP
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Rebeeca I smoke the jalapenos and anaheims (You can use anything you want) I roast some garlic a whole onion and a firm tomato.I blend w/ a little vineger and let rest for 2-3 days.It TURNS OUT TASTY!!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    rsmdale, I have been looking into making my own hot sauce, and a smoked hotsauce sounds awsome, could you share a recipe?
  • Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    Sorry, did not read further. Thanks for the advice in the previous posting
  • platex living gloves ,, exam gloves ,, latex or nitrile, have a limited usefulness for anything hotter than a jalapeno and you were playing with hot capsaison.. i can explain how i know abou this if you wish :evil:
  • lots of info out their about pickling peppers and hot sauce making canning and such pouring hot vinegar on them closing them up.. i read the usda stuff and info about shelf life and canning..
    while my primary goal is to make somehthing hot enough to put zippy in a coma and J.L.s intestines in a knot i do not actually want to give them botulism so i have been heating to boiling,, .. at least..
    for the hot suace it is 30 adp's to 1 cup of vinegar with 1 tbs each of kosher salt and sugar.. stick blender till puverized and then put in sterilzed sauce bottles and this year into the pressure cooker to 15 lbs [just like the autoclave,, for 5 minutes and then turn off the heat .. and let cool.. this should give a long un refrigerated shelf life and kill all but prions.. sliced get the same treatment, just enough vinegar mix to cover , this is probably overkill andwill sacrifice crispness but whi cares the stuff i make is really not suitable for normal human consumption,, i do not freexze any due to shipping ,, remember i do not touch this stuff it is all shipped out .. bill
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Those peppers looks so good!!! I can sympathize with you on the burning sensation....I over did it this summer with jalapenos and serranos preparing peach-pepper jam. My fingers were sensitive for a few days, could kick myself for not wearing gloves. :ohmy:
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    You know you can get a whole crate of poblanos down at restaurant depot :>)

Didn't catch the price but they had jalapenos that were massive.

I need to try my hand at chile relano someday....I think I spelled it right.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Rebecca peppers are delicious, roasted mmmmmm, but you've got to respect them, habaneros specially are fierce, learnt my lesson by now, use gloves when handling them. Some peppers sting your lips, some others your tongue, some others your throat & still some others sting somewhere else I won't mention here for obvious reasons :laugh: :whistle: , & others all the above.....Take care
  • eenie meenie
    bill, I was wearing one pair of surgical gloves.

I was holding off on getting a pressure cooker despite the recent enticing posts on pressure cooking. Looks as if I now how a reason that I absolutlely must have one, lol. You really are a vbi. :evil:

I would prefer my pickled peppers to be crisp....and I noticed that Randy is still alive and kicking. Perhaps I'll make some without 'sterilizing' in the presseure cooker and feed them to my brother first.

Thanks for your expertise. :)
  • eenie meenie
    Thanks Elizabeth, I feel better. It's true, misery loves company, lol.
  • eenie meenie
    Dennis......and where were you when we went on our Jungle Jim excusion? Oh yeah, you were in Nelsonville at a BBQ competition. Chris told me you placed in chicken! Congratulations. :) (I must have jinxed your brisket :huh: )

If we go on another excusion we can stop by RD.
  • eenie meenie
    Beli, it appears that you and lcb have some experience I thankfully lack! :laugh:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    A wonderful gift, and a great way to use it. :)
  • eenie meenie
    Bacchus, indeed, a wonderful gift, although dangerous! :laugh:
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    We were very happy. 6th overall. We are on a good trajectory.
  • I hear ya, Rebecca. I got a first degree chemical burn on my fingers, roasting, peeling and preserving chiles earlier this summer. I've had a little burning on my fingertips (especially under the nails) plenty of times, but my fingers were still burning 24 hours later. Showering hurt, just like a hot shower on a sunburn.

I roasted and froze several types of chiles this summer, mostly the larger ones. The small ones, like habaneros, I just halve and freeze.
  • even if you want crisp peppers you can still sterilize the unfilled jars in the pressure coooker.. which is real sterile as opposed to boiled [which ain't]
  • eenie meenie
    Thanks bill, now instead of just 'wanting' a pressure cooker, I can now justify that I actually 'need' one. B):whistle: :laugh:
  • eenie meenie
    Ben, I know what you mean....it was the thermal heat from my computer that really brought out the burn.