Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Pumpkin

'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was reading the Operating Manual and was intrigued by "The Great Pumpkin" recipe by RhumAndJerk. Since my family was making an annual pilgrimage to a local pumpkin farm I decided I would pick out a suitable pumpkin for the recipe.

The authors admit that it is a lot of work but I found it an enjoyable enterprise. The ingredient list is a little intimidating but it is still well worth the effort. I am happy to report that the presentation is matched by the outstanding flavor of the dish. I served it whole, opting not to slice it as suggested. I could easily see this as a fall tradition if not a meal fit for the holidays.

No pictures of the raws but they fall into several main categories--Grain, meat, vegetables and dried fruit. This pumpkin came sans handle and fits nicely on the egg

IMAG0230.jpg

The pumpkin cooked for 2 full hours at 375° and rested for 15 minutes. It may have been ready at 1:45 but the internal temp of 180°F was reached early on since the ingredients are warm to hot when you stuff the squash.

IMAG0231.jpg

A crisp fall night is warmed by the meal that beckons from the rim

IMAG0232.jpg

Plated up and ready to eat. The pumpkin was easy to scoop and add along with the stuffing

IMAG0233.jpg

It turned out better than I had thought and I would definitely do it again. This is on the heels of doing a butternut squash the other night and I enjoyed that as well, another 'do again'.

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Wow, Looks like it turned out perfectly!

Thank you for the pictures.
    RhumAndJerk
  • RhumAndJerk, yes, it was great. I am always game for the unusual and this fit the bill to a 'T'. The level of the stuffing is all the stuffing I had, beginner's luck no doubt but it turned out to be a good omen. The sausage I purchased at a local grocery was a little hotter than planned and I am so glad it was. It really picked up the rest of the ingredients. Thanks so much for this recipe.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Very very nice. You did a great job! Thanks for the pics.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Wow I never seen anything like that before. It looks very intersting. How did everyone like it? Nice seeing you. :) Tim
  • The stuffing is a mix of flavors. The pumpkin picks up plenty of smokiness, maybe too much for some, but I got no complaints from my eaters they just helped themselves to seconds. There is salt from the ham and sausage. Spice from the sausage. There is sweetness from the apple and dried fruit. And the aromatics onion leek and garlic round out the medley. I enjoyed it immensely and maybe even more knowing that the recipe is a 'jumping off' point. You can tailor it any way you like it. You could go Southwest as easily as you could go curry. You could do shrimp and andouille sausage maybe add some corn or cornbread, grits?
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    A fun project with a good ending! I often think the project-type cooks (while laborious) can be the most enjoyable.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Looks like you did it right!! So many ways you could change that up. Thanks for sharing!! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WWSis--Thanks, I agree. It was a way to extend the fun we have every year as we drive out to the country and make a day out of it. There is a snack bar with awesome fresh baked cinnamon rolls, an espresso stand, a kid's petting zoo, a corn maze, wagon rides and more...We happened to go on THE Saturday that is the busiest and was flooded with sunshine and warm temps.

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg
  • Thanks Molly,
    I mentioned that to Tim, that the possibilities are seemingly endless. How many ways can you say stuffing?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Good to see ya back on the forum....
    DSC00200.JPG
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Q B, I always seem to cook the same things I've always cooked. You're motivating me to try some new things. Nice cook.
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg-- Thank you, I found myself in a similar rut. This is proof positive to those that know me best that I am not a one trick pony (pulled pork). The Egg is a very versatile appliance limited only by our imagination.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    'Q Bruddah,

That looks really good. Is it in recipes?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Steve, I found it in the "Operating Manual and Eggfest Cookbook" Copyright 2007 a spiral bound 136 page book that I got from BGE. Subtitled-- Cookbook for "Eggheads"

Here's my adaptation:

The Great Pumpkin

1 pie pumpkin, about 4-5 lbs or whatever fits your vessel adjust ingredients accordingly

1 cup long grain rice I used brown
    1 cup wild rice. I substituted a wild and brown rice mix
    1 1/2 lb bulk country sausage, mild or hot
    1 can low sodium chicken broth approx 2 cups
    1 leek rinsed and sliced in half, white part only
    1 medium yellow onion peeled and sliced
    1 clove garlic crushed
    2 Tbs butter
    6 mushrooms, medium sized, cleaned and sliced
    3 green onions chopped
    1/4 lb tasso ham, I substituted regular ham only because of availability.
    2 apples, medium peeled and chopped
    1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
    1 tsp fresh thyme
    1 tsp sage
    1/4 cup bourbon had none substituted apple juice
    1/4 cup raisins
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    1/4 cup dried currants
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 cup dried cherries
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 eggs, lightly beaten

*Cook the long grain rice as normally would. Rinse the wild rice with cold water. Bring the chicken stock and wild rice to a boil in a sauce pan. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes. Starting checking doneness after 35 minutes; it is okay if it is a little under cooked and all the liquid is not absorbed.

* Brown sausage in a skillet and drain most of the grease.

*Wash off the outside of the pumpkin. Clean the pumpkin as you would for a Jack-O-Lantern. Save the top and the seeds With a fork pierce the inside of the pumpkin being careful not to break the skin. Sprinkle the inside with salt and pepper and set aside.

* In a large skillet sauté the onion, leek, and garlic in the butter for a couple of minutes. Add the mushrooms and green onions to the skillet and continue to sauté for a couple minutes more. Add the apples sausage and ham to the skillet; continue cooking until heated through.

* Remove from heat. In a large bowl, combine the long grain rice, wild rice, the mixture from the skillet and the rest of the ingredients, including the beaten eggs.

*Fill the pumpkin and replace the lid

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:

*Place the stuffed pumpkin in a shallow baking dish or on a trivet in a deep DO.

*Cook over indirect heat or in a Dutch oven at 350-375° for about an hour and a half or until the out side of the pumpkin is soft.

*Let rest 15 minutes after cooking, this allows the juices to be absorbed back into the stuffing.

*You can serve the pumpkin two ways, you can slice it or scoop out the contents making sure you get some of the meat of the pumpkin with the stuffing.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    that looks really cool... i'm a give it a go
    context is important :)
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Q'Bruddah, your stuffed pumpkin looks good and I really like the presentation for a fall dinner! :)
  • eenie meenie, Thanks so much. I am pleased to report that RhumAndJerk's recipe tastes as good as it looks or better. As I have mentioned elsewhere in this thread I plan to adapt it to other flavors and tastes.
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Having the whole neighborhood over for Halloween. How many do you think it would serve?

What a cool idea!
  • I suppose it would depend on whether it was served as a main dish or a side. It made about 6 qts of stuffing. Then there is pumpkin, too. I served it to four people as a main dish and they had more than one serving and I had 4 qts left over.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Looks good. Someone years back posted a recipe for a pumpkin "pie" of sorts that was basically a custard of sorts made inside a pumpkin. Your post has fired off a synapse and got me thinking of that. Two things to ponder for this busy fall.

H