Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vennison question

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hi all long time no speak.

i have some friends that are big hunters and i was going t make some deer jerky...

what cut of the deer is the best for doing so?

thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The hams and shoulders.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I have a friend that shoots 2 deer every season and he makes 1 of them all in to jerky. I think the best jerky comes from the rear 1/4's but all in all i am sure it all will taste good. :)
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Hi; I alerted my brother, Mark/ weekend warrior. He is busy with some out of town family doing dinner right now, but maybe he'll have time to respond later... He makes ALOT of jerky on a regular basis and it's really good; I always eat a ton of his jerky every year when we go home to pa for hunting.
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks julia i hope to hear from mark it has been awhile since i spoke to him..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks rod i willl proabably be giving you a call on this if and when it happens ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    i guess your and fidel's suggestion are about the same if i take the rear hams :laugh:

thanks for your response

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    The hams & sholders are beast. Try this marinade think you will like it.
    >2 Tbs curing salt ( I use pickling salt)
    >1/2 Tbs garlic salt
    >1/2 Tbs garlic powder
    >1/2 Tbs onion salt
    >1/2 Tbs onion powder
    >1 Tbs black pepper
    >1 Tbs cayenne pepper (more if you live dangerously)
    >3 Tbs brown sugar
    >1 cup honey
    >1 cup water
    >1 bottle liquid smoke
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01710a.jpg

I'm okay with using shoulders or hams. You will notice how much leaner venison is over most other meats. Here is some venison on the left and bison on the right.

DSC01709a.jpg

Chill your meat in the freezer until it is icy, it makes slicing very easy. (look close, the bison above is still icy). If you want more traditional jerky, slice it with the grain. If you want a more tender jerky, slice against the grain. And remember to sample toward the end of the cook to make sure you don't dry it too much. (plus it's so good it will be hard to resist.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks that is some really good advice especially on the slicing.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    cool thanks i am not sure how much i will get but it sounds like there will be alot of it.... so i will deffinatly give your recepie a try

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    I do a ton of jerky and sausage with venison every Fall (usually 2-3 deer) There are two types of jerky you can do.

One is to do actual sliced jerky as was posted above. That takes one of the larger cuts (typically from the ham as the front shoulders have way too much silver skin and sinew) Sliced meat is marinated and then smoked.

The other way is to take trimmed venison, grind it, and then put it through a jerky press. Do a google search for jerky cannon or jerky gun and you'll see a ton of models. Basically you take the ground meat, mix in seasonings and sodium nitrate, and press it out onto screens. My wife actually prefers this style over the more traditional sliced jerky so I do some of both types. The other advantage to using this method is you can take any cut of venison, trim it, and then grind it.

One final thought: if you get a LOT of venison, buy a summer sausage kit and try that. LEM products in Ohio makes fantastic kits that I've used for years. Here's a big batch I made last Winter. http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=791355&catid=1#
  • ranger ray
    Options
    the real key is to trim the meat well.... don't use any of the "silver skin".... it doesn;t make much difference what cut you use....i used to cut it into strips.... now i prefer to make smoky chunks.... rr