Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

30+ hours on a butt?

Options
tmEGGer
tmEGGer Posts: 92
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 9# pork butt in my Lg BGE. It has been right on 225 dome temp courtesy of my brand new Wireless BBQ Guru Pro Com 4 with 10 CFM Pit Viper fan. I love saying that. I have Royal Oak lump loaded to the top of the fire ring, inverted plate setter, and the butt in a v-rack in a roasting pan.[p]However, it has been 30 HOURS and my meat temp is 186. Is this ok? I know it is not done until it is done, but this will probably end up to be a 32 hour butt. What do you all think?[p]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    NutmEGGer,
    Congratulations, you now have a petrified log...Sorry, but 30 hours is way past the approximate 1.5 hours per lb. at 220 degrees to 240 degrees.
    I would pull it, see what you can do to salvage it.
    C~W

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    NutmEGGer,
    9# is a good sized butt, but 30 hours is pushin it for me..LOL...You have most likely already past thru the plateau...if thats the case, I would say this...If you`re in a hurry, bump up the temps to 275°-300° range, and you can get it finished up much quicker......If your not in hurry, just let it ride like it is until your internal is in the 200° range...either way you should be fine...HTH[p]
    Wess

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    NutmEGGer, Your grid (food) level temp is probably less than your dome temp. Check this temp. It might be close to 200° or less. The butt will take a very, very long time to reach 200° when the grid temp is 200°. [p]Bump your dome temp up to 250°-275° to finish your butt.[p]Beers,[p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • WessB
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I dont see how you can state he has a "petrified log" if the internal is at 186°.....I agree that the numbers dont add up...but I have also seen 8# butts done in 10 hours...this also doesnt fit the 1.5 hours per#.....he will know soon enough how it comes out...You know as well as I ...NO 2 cuts of meat are going to cook exactly the same...lets just wish him the best...[p]
    Wess

• Char-Woody
    Options
    WessB, lets see his report card. 30 hours to me means a very dry piece of meat. Seems I have a habit of upsetting you lately. FWIW, I am no TimM. So play fair.
    C~W[p]

• WessB, he has been way past his plateau, and as the meat dries out from the loss of callogens and fats, the meats internal temperatures will drop.
    C~W[p]

• WessB
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I didnt see anyting in my post to warrant a "play fair" comment...I personally think you shot him down too quick...not saying his pork wont come out dry...bit I dont expect it will..just offering a poster "MY" opinion....and I`m not upset....just a little on edge from my earlier "E Bay" post......Sorry....[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    NutmEGGer,
    Please, for all involved..lets us know how it turns out....Thanks...[p]Wess

• Char-Woody
    Options
    WessB, we have our days...my apology. Heck, I cannot even spell my own handle right tonight. I noted the mini, and my own sentiments were mostly already expressed, so I passed.
    E.bay is pretty secure, but there are some wild cards there.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• tmEGGer
    Options

I had kicked up the dome temp to 300 for about the last 2 hrs -- I forgot to mention that in the original post. So that I could go to bed at a reasonable hour, I removed the butt from the egg at 195 meat temp. The butt looks ok, but that is just the outside. I wrapped it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler. In a little while I will pull it and let you know how it is. [p]I am a little worried about bacteria growth if this thing took so long. I am very confident that the dome temp stayed right at 225, as the bbq guru and the bge thermometer both read same throught the cook.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    NutmEGGer, I wouldn't worry about bacteria as that would have to be in the 140 to 160 range for some time to develop the bacteria's toxins. That is what gets ya.. The toxins.
    Bad stuff.
    If your cook is overly dry as I suspect it will be at least in portions, you can make some great baked beans, or crock pot with BBQ sauce for super pork sandwiches. Not like pulled pork, but still dang good.
    Sorry if I came of with a negative and I need to put more smileys in my comments so they appear more candid.
    Cheers..
    C~W

• tmEGGer
    Options
    Well, I was a little worried. I removed the butt from the cooler and the foil and started pulling. It came out fine. Except for a few spots near the bark, it was moist. I pulled it all and since I did not brine it, I seasoned it with salt and Dizzy Dust as I added pork to my plastic containers. A handful onto a plate for the chef with a splash of my vinegar-based bbq sauce and I had myself a nice little snack. If for some reason it spoiled along the way and I end up vomiting uncontrollably, it may be a few days before I get back to the forum, LOL.[p]Thanks to all for the input. I am still new to egging and very new to guruing. Don't worry about the differing opinions. It is called intellectual dissention, and without it this board would not be as helpful as it is.[p]NutmEGGer
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    NutmEGGer, that is amazing. It would have been interesting to see the meat temperature curve on that one for the 30 hour period at 220 degrees dome and the Guru. I would be that you had a spike to the 200 degrees meat temps and then the downward normal curve after it peaked. When folks tell me that the meats actually cook faster with a Guru, then the 30 hours really becomes suspect unless there is a unknown in there somewhere. BTW...congrats on your upgrade to ceramics.
    I wish I had discovered it way back when I was a young 50 year old.
    :-)
    Scratch one for WessB...a loss for C~W
    Heeeeyaaaaa.
    Happy Holidays.[p]

• NutmEGGer,
    Chances are the butt was done for some time. Temp is only one test. How did it turn out?
    Jim

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    The next butt I do I'm gonna take the internal to 225° to see if my point I keep trying to make actually works out.[p]Above about 175° all meat is pretty much dried out, at 190° and above it is absolutely toast. The deal with pulled pork and brisket is all of the fat and connective tissue that turn to gelatin during the plateau coat every strand of the meat and fool you into thinking the meat is moist.[p]So 30 hours seems a bit long as we all agree, but I knew that the meat would not be dry and ruined.[p]Very happy to hear that it worked out for you, and there are no worries about the bacteria. The danger point on the high side is 145° and below (it used to be 140°) so you can keep food as long as you want as long as you keep it above 145°.[p]So eat with confidence and enjoy!!!