Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

First tri-tips: prep questions.

Boilermaker BenBoilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tri-tip isn't exactly common around here; I only see it occasionally in my grocery. As I browsed through the meat section yesterday, I saw some beautifully marbled specimens, and had to pick them up. Looks like just shy of two pounds each. I've got a couple questions for you tri-tip pros:

They're still in the packaging, but it looks like there is a fat cap on the underside. Is that how you normally see them? This should be removed, yes?

It looks like if I remove the fat cap, they'd be a little thinner than a steak that I would normally do a roast/sear technique on. Are you normally seeing tri-tips bigger than 2 lbs each? Would you go with a direct cook on a 2 lb tri-tip, rather than a roast/sear?

Comments