Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggplant

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine, new egger, is desperate to turn out a good grilled eggplant. I've never grilled an eggplant so not much help here.

Any advice to pass on?

mShark

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Just slice into 1/2" slices, brush with olive oil, salt, pepper and grill direct. -RP
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Slice,coat with a "light" salting,let stand 10-15 mins,pat dry,toss in EVOO and spices/seasonings of choice,coat with seasoned panko breadcrumbs,indirect 350 dome on a rack in a small pan.I like to hit em with a little Marinara and Mozz cheeze at the end.Good Eats! ;)
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Hoss
    Options
    If you like the Asian,try the white ones! ;)
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Hoss
    Options
    Gretel.They don't get very big but MY-O-MY they are tastee!I'll try to remember to post pics.We got TONS of em! ;)
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    My favorite is brushing with garlic infused olive oil and grilling direct until soft. At the end sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese. Remove when cheese is beginning to brown. You can also cut it in half, brush with oil and bake it until it collapses. At the same time grill some onion slices and a few garic cloves. When they are all done and cooled off scoop out the flesh and put it all in food processor with a few peeled fresh tomatoes and parsley and whatever herbs you like and some olive oil. That makes a nice spread for pita or naan or crackers. Salt and pepper to taste.
  • lenco
    lenco Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the eggplant prep idea. But I'm a real BGE newbie and don't know what the temp setting should be...also how long. And when you say "grill direct", does that mean with the top open?
  • lenco
    lenco Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the eggplant recipe. Looks great, but as a newbie, I'm not familiar with the vocabulary. Can you tell me what is EVOO?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    mollyshark wrote:
    Any advice to pass on?

mShark

Yes. "Good eggplant" is an oxymoron. ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Options
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Monica,

As Hoss said, she needs to salt them before grilling. I let them sit about half an hour and blot dry with a paper towel. Great with roasted peppers, onion, provolone and grilled portabellas on a ciabatta. Lasagna is great too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON