Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instructions ... cooking 17 lb. ribeye

Options
MR H
MR H Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
No more turkey or ham this year! It is now time for Christmas beef.
I have chosen a 17 lb. prime ribeye for Christmas dinner. Where do I start with the BGE. I have always use a convection aire stove before,it'now time for change.[p]Thanks
Howard in Bartow

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    MR H,[p]First you invite all of your forum friends then pick up 200 cases of beer. Then we'll tell you how to proceede.
    Hehehehehehehe

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    Sundown,
    Great I'll start working more overtime so I can purchase the needed cases of beer.[p]Cheers
    Howard in Bartow

• MR H,
    I've been doing rib roasts for the Christmas holidays for many years
    in this weight range on gas grills, an offset and a ceramic cooker.
    My best results have been by keeping it simple: seasoning - salt, pepper
    and garlic powder. I've done low and slow (250 - 275 deg.) as well as
    roasting temps. (325 - 350 deg.). I found that I get great results
    by keeping the grill temperature at approximately 325 - 350 and
    take the internal temp of the roast in the CENTER to about 118 deg.
    The end temps are a little higher giving medium rare in the ends and
    rare in the center. When the roast hits 118 deg. in the center, I take
    it off, wrap in foil, then wrap in towels and put in a cooler. The
    temperature will rise approx. 10 deg. I start serving martinis and
    when the martinis are gone, maybe an hour, pull the roast from cooler and slice. I've kept records of each cook and the times have consistantly come out to a little over 10 min. per pound to get to my target internal
    temp. O Yeah! I do them indirect. Your milage may vary.[p]If you want something a little more medium to meduim rare, you may
    want to take the internal temp of the roast up a little higher, maybe to
    125 deg. I'm sure you will get other responses and you may also want
    to check the recipe section on this site.[p]Just my 2 cents worth and hope it helps.[p]Happy Holidays,[p]K_sqrd[p]

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    K_sqrd,
    Only thing I'd add...go indirect on the setup. I totally agree on the seasoning...you want to taste the meat.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    MR H,
    first, you didn't say if it was bone in or not.. . although at 17 pounds, i'm guesin bone int. .. [p]as you know from doin em in your oven, its a very forgiving hunk of beef, so long as you don't over cook it. .. [p]i like to rub mine with a lot of kosher salt and herbs de provence (and i do mean a lot of herbs). .. if you are into garlic, cut some slits on the fat side and stick whole cloves in. . .. i set up the egg with grid on top of inverted plate setter, get the temps up to 500 degrees with either some jack daniels chips or a chunk of hickory. . .put to roast directly on the grid bones down. . .as soon as you put the roast on, tighten up your vents till you get to 325 (the time spent between 500 and 325 will give it a nice sear. .. .then roast her about 15 minutes per pound for medium rare. . .pull it at 125 internal and let it rest for about 15 - 20 minutes as the temps will continue to rise a few degrees while those juices re-distribute. ...[p]note - if you have a good butcher, and you are buying prime, have him 'wrap' the entire roast with a layer of fat and tie it. ..when you get it home, untie the fat, lay some fresh rosemary and salt and pepper on the roast (again, garlic if you want, re-tie the fat back on the roast, then cover with the herbs de provence and salt. .. do everything else the same. .. .its really good. .. . here are some pics of a small 2 boner (excellent prime beef) i did a few weeks [p]first, the roast, with the fat unrolled, salt, pepper and fresh rosemary
    DSCN0594.jpg[p]fat rolled back on, tied, then covered generously with kosher salt and herbs de provence[p]DSCN0595.jpg[p]on the egg[p]DSCN0596.jpg[p]out of the egg and resting[p]DSCN0599.jpg[p]sliced and ready to serve. .. perfect. ..[p]DSCN0600.jpg[p]this is the way i'll be doing mine for xmas. ..

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Wow, I think your awsome post may have just cost me some money because I can't get that beautiful P.R. off my mind. Looks like I better head out to the butcher. Happy holiday egging...BobbyG.