Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Moose

NU2BBQNU2BBQ Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What particular cut of Moose would lend itself well to smoking? I've done Venison roasts before that came out well but never a Moose. I need to figure out what to tell the butcher to do besides the normal steaks, ground, etc. Any advice/ideas?

Thanks

Bob
·

Comments

• Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    This old Kentucky/Florida boy is sitting here racking his brain to give you a reply, but I'm sorry, I guess I'm just no help on this one! :laugh: :ohmy: :P :woohoo:
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,941
    NU2BBQ

Rib roast is good. Chuck low and slow. You need to lard it or wrap in bacon.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,272
    I had a customer, a few years back, give me some moose. The package only read moose steaks. I did them hot and quick and they were like butter and delish!
    ·
  • I have only ever done steaks and a roast (thinking it was a chuck, judging by the cut).
    I did as Steve mentioned above, somewhat, with bacon as a cap. However, I also did a marinade for a few hours too. It was fab....
    ·
  • NU2BBQNU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Little Steven, thanks for that info, I think I'll go with the chuck. Moose was taken Saturday (opening day in NH) and is at the butchers now.

Everyone else thanks for helping.
    ·