Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just wondering.....

ddmax
ddmax Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was curious if anyone here has had any experience with a Viking C4 Outdoor Cooker and how it compares with the BGE.

ddmax
Georgia

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    I know you are new here, but under the "Forum Rules":

DO NOT POST confrontational messages, such as product comparisons.
    These always lead to chaos and disruption of the forum. Posts deemed to be confrontational, or in violation of any of the forum regulations, will be deleted.

Don't feel bad, I think alot of us here, me included don't read the rules.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • imagine an egg, made by a copy-cat company, then wrapped in stainless for no good reason other than style, and there you have it.
  • With a $4400 price tag and a 1 year warranty! :ohmy:
  • BUT! ..it i has the viking name.

man, they parlayed that name into just about everything.

"i have a viking wooden spoon!"
  • I think that is a Stainless Steel wooden spoon, now.
  • hahaha
    cheap chinese wooden spoon wrapped in stainless. if it is stainless, it must be better
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    If I were you I would buy the Viking.. :sick: :blink: :S

Not.....

which one has the lifetime warranty??? :)
  • If I were you, I would check with another BBQ forum where people are a little more objective. Some people get uptight around here when talking about other cookers if they are not green. I have seen the Viking, looked a little expensive. It was a demo cooker at an egg dealer, so it didn't have a price tag. I can't remember who makes it, but it seemed like it was one of the popular ceramic manufacturers. I have always wondered how the ceramics don't crack from expansion when it is sandwiched in between metal. I guess it doesnt matter if they crack since it is sealed Check out the BBQ brethren forum:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

There will be people there that are willing to happily compare cookers with you, without making fun of ideas that aren't green.
  • i have no problem with other cookers, i just thought the idea itself was pretty stupid. it offers no benefit to the cook... cosmetic.

and that is the least concern of a person who is serious about cooking good food.
  • John,
    As I commented in my post above, the retail price is $4400 and the warranty is only for 1 year, not lifetime like the green thing.
    I registered on the Viking website lad month when they were giving one away and looked into the price & warranty at that time ( of course, I didnt win it). I have also looked at one at our local Viking store when attending one of their cooking classes.
  • I have had a good look at them and they are very nice. The stainless work is really well done and it wraps the bottom of the dome (or top of the base). It is a primo inside. I didn't see anything that would prevent any real world issues like firebox/firering breaks. The logistics are just wrong IMHO. You could have a full set of eggs (or Primos) for the cost of one. I saw no reason for the stainless other than to match the gasser it comes with in the set.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

•  
    Good description, however, you neglected to mention the recovery from sticker shock.

GG
  •  
    The last time I saw one (at Gigi's) I thought the price was $2,400 and I about fell over with what Clark said the price was.

The Viking I saw would really be a nice match to anyone what had an out door SS BBQ. The Viking looked very well built, I remember wondering how hard it might be to keep all that stainless clean and shiny.

As for cooking results I would guess it would hold its own with the other ceramic cookers.

St!ke's response above did make me smile.

Kent
  • ddmax
    ddmax Posts: 45
    Ooops! Thanks for the tip! I never was one for the rules. :)

I guess I should peruse them!
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    why was my post deleted?
    context is important :)