Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge 8 qt, #12 Dutch Oven question

Options
yankeefan
yankeefan Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Only version I see on Amazon has legs. Anyone have one that can tell me if the legs can fall through a regular grate and fit a large egg (lid closes)?

Thanks,
Howard

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I have one with the legs, Howard. Same mode, Lodge #12.

Yes it fits easily in a large.

And yes, the legs can be a pain in the rear getting set on a standard great. They don't fit through evenly on a standard grate for me but with a little practice I can get all three of the legs to stand on top of a bar of the grate where it is nice and even.

On my cast iron grate is is no problem at all.

If all I had was the standard grate, it would be easy enough to solve the problem with 3 large washers to act as "feet" for the legs to keep one from slipping through the grate.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I have that one as well as a regular flat bottom one. I do like and use my legged one when I'm using my plate setter. The air space prevents bottom burning for a nice all around cooking.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Here is a Lodge 9 qt. smooth bottom if you would prefer that instead of one with legs. The one with the legs on a plate setter sounds like a good idea too, never tried it that way. Mike

http://www.katom.com/261-L12DO3.html