Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet, Another Dry Age Question

Boxerpapa
Boxerpapa Posts: 989
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a rib roast, put it in the sealer bag and sealed it. When vacuuming the air out, is it supposed to suck all the air out like a Foodsaver? For some reason I can't get all the air out. The snorkel gets caught against the bag and plugs out enabling all the air to come out...advise?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Yeah that sealer is a real piece of crap. Take the textured side of a foodsaver bag and place it where the end of the snorkel will be over it and have it extend to the meat. Make sure it is outside of the sealing point. This will allow airflow without collapsing the bag. Ron has another technique and a video on Youtube, I'm sure he will chip in here soon. -RP
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    yeah.
    take it out of the bag and lay it on a rack in the open air.

(sorry, couldn't resist!) don't shoot me, just having fun

RRP is THE guru with sealing those bags. hopefully he'll chime in. but yeah, in every pic i have ever seen, there is no air in the bag. should be totally sucked tight like a foodsaver bag would be. good luck. are you using their sealer, or a foodsaver sealer with their bag?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
  • Boxerpapa
    I tried using the technique in the video, but my Foodsaver just crapped out on me and I have no more Steak Bags left. So, I Sliced the puppy up into steaks and 2 PR's. I guess I'm cooking prime rib tonight. I learned a valuable lesson today :pinch:
  • stike
    can i ask why you just didn't let the thing age without using a bag? no ned to cut it up no if you were planning on aging it a few weeks anyway.

just sayin.

they been doin it that way forever.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Looks like it's too late to chime in now, but I wish you would have realized when your first bag was a failure to have used it to practice on several times to get the hang of it. One guy I know went through 6 bags and got very frustrated having wasted them all. I must have practiced on my first bag 7 or 8 times.

BTW there is a guy on the DrybagSteak forum who swears that he doesn't even use a vacuum at all, but just presses and squeezes as much air out as he can and then uses a twisty to close it. Swears he's been doing that for a year with great success.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Here's the link to a discussion on the sealing subject and includes my little plastic raft which really makes using the Sinbo snorkel easy. Some people have had luck doing the same by using hollow plastic coffee stirrers.
    http://www.drybagsteak.com/forum/5-sealing-questions/42-why-cant-i-get-a-vacuum-like-a-regular-vacuum-bag
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Boxerpapa
    Because I'm chicken chit. I'm assuming you had success going naked with your primals?
  • Boxerpapa
    Haven't given up yet. I'm ordering more bags today.
  • stike
    was the one to start using the term "commando" (meaning, to age in the open air) if that's any indication.

there's no more or less danger whether with or without the bags. you would have been perfectly safe/fine aging in the open air, as long as you don't have odors on the fridge, or aren't going weeks past 45 days.

temps are the key to both methods.