Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket - for Grampa (pick heavy)

Iowa State EggerIowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited 4:29AM in EggHead Forum
Hi All -

It has been a little while (lot of whole) since I have posted. I have been eggin' strong, but thought this might be post worthy.

A little background. I got my first BGE for Father's Day 2008. I now have six of them, but neither here nor there. My grandfather, who will turn 80 tomorrow, has always seen my eggs, but only has enjoyed burgers and chicken from my egg, this is mainly due to logistics (he lives 8 hours from me) and other circumstances.

But he always asks what I do best. I tell him pork loin, pork butt, chops, pork tenderloin and brisket. He says "you cook brisket - how do you do it?" I say low and slow. The story gets fuzzy, but I swear he told me that he has not had a good brisket in 20 years. Needless to say I knew that he was due to eat my brisket.

Since I have had my egg, I have probably cooked 20 to 30 flats, but only one whole brisket. Since we are having 30 guests at his party - why not two whole briskets!

The party is tomorrow, so we will have to reheat which is fine. If any one has any suggestions to help, please let me know.

Here we go:

Two 12 lb briskets:

100_3148.jpg

I trimmed them up pretty good as you can see.

I didn't have a measuring stick!

100_3150.jpg

Thanks to thirdeye (and the post about no smoke ring WHT) - here is a little seasoning:

100_3152.jpg

After in the fridge for an hour or two, rubbed them up:

100_3153.jpg

The BGE set up - went with the XL with the Diggi:

100_3155.jpg

Smokin' them up:

100_3156.jpg

100_3157.jpg

That was 9:00 Thursday night.

I got up to check the plumbing at 4:00, temp was 170.

I woke up at 6:00, temmp was 174.

It went down from there, all the way down to 163. At about 11:30 it seemed to break out of the plateau around 170

100_3159.jpg

so I trimmed the point from the flat:

100_3161.jpg

Back on the cooker:

100_3163.jpg

Cooked until around 2:00 - 17 hours of cooking!

100_3166.jpg

Done and resting:

100_3168.jpg

Beautiful:

100_3169.jpg

100_3170.jpg

Meat

100_3173.jpg

Have a great night and I hope it is as good as it looks!

Dave
·

Comments

• cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,406
    Holy Cow!!! Beautiful.....
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • Woody69Woody69 Posts: 360
    I think I see a smoke ring.... :)
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Oh yeah!!
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • When I see a ring like that all I hear in my head is, "My precious my precious..."! That is a Smeagol ring.

Let us know how your Dad likes it.
    ·
  • Wow! I am now inspired to try my first brisket!!!

Hope you all enjoy....
    ·
  • I've cooked about 100 packers in the last year. While it doesn't make me an expert i do know a little about them. First put the meat on cold and you will get a smoke ring. no need to manufacture it. My brisket goes from about 35 degrees to a 232 degree smoker and I always get a smoke ring and that's using a pellet smoker.

Don't separate the point and flst till flst is done. The point can go 2-3 hours longer on it's own so don't short change it. Sometimes I will cube and reseason then put back on rather than the whole thing. Also you should be ale to follow the fat separating the pieces. Should be like butter and separate. Looks like you needed more time.

Trim all that excess off the top of the flat. Csnt get rub through it. I like to let my rub melt into the meat.

Looks pretty good. Where did you get the briskets? The marbling looks pretty good.
    ·
  • ForniaFornia Posts: 451
    THAT looks awesome! What was your internal wen you pulled it for good?

Not questioning...actually using your post as motivation to do one tomorrow! B)

I've done 2 brisket cooks, one packer one flat...the packer was my first attempt, and I think my best.

Although, I was 'dazed and confused' on the flat and incorrectly sliced half of it before realizing what I was doing. I need a re-do for sure!
    ·
  • EggSimonEggSimon Posts: 422
    that´s what I´m talkin about.

A brisket taken out of the schoolbook !

And very nice color on that Digi B)
    ·
  • i pulled the flat at just under190.
    ·
  • Buster

thanks for the advice. i have cooked around 20 flats but this was only my second try at a whole brisket. i did a lot of reading on when to separate the point from the flat and it seems the opinions are all over the board. after doing this i can see why waiting until finished makes sense. i did get the briskets at sam's.

dave
    ·
  • fire eggerfire egger Posts: 1,124
    Nicely done Dave,Your grandfather's gonna love that!!
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Great pic's great post. You did good. Thanks for posting. Tim :P
    ·
  • Mighty fine looking brisket, Dave.
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Great cook. Let us know how Grandpa enjoyed it.

GG
    ·