Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubs or marinade while hot tubbing steaks?

Options
Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will all the spices just burn off during the sear or will some of it go into the meat? Same question applies to a reverse sear... Would any rub applied during the roast be a waste?

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    Deckhand,

If you are going to do a really hot sear - like a T Rex sear on a spider just above the lump, then I wouldn't put rub or marinade on a steak as it will likely burn. I only put some sea salt on before a sear.
    If you are going to sear at the fire ring level, the roast or dwell (like the BGE recommendation) I don't think you will get a burned rub/marinade. I did this last Saturdya when my guests showed up with marinating steaks - had to make a quick 'wardrobe change' from my spider/TRex setup. :ohmy:

As to the reverse sear, I have not had a problem with the seasonings burning. I guess they meld into the meat enough to not burn.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Clark,

If the steaks are in the hot tub for an hour the rub will mostly be absorbed or fall off. A marinade is going to do what its going to do anyway.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    what he said (Misippi Egger).
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For me, a good steak needs salt and pepper. Period. Never a marinade.

I usually TRex them (sear with both s&p, then roast) and haven't had a problem with burning. Some say salt only for the sear, then add pepper for the roast. I've done it both ways and don't really notice a difference.

But no marinade! Please!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    ...and I don't marinade steaks but I have read of marinade for tri-tip and did sear (lightly) my 1st and only tri-tip (Got two more in the fridge). Thanks again.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Probably true, Steve, but at 1200*+ or whatever it is on the spider, I am afraid the coating remaining on the surface would scorch and give a bitter/burned taste. Might just be too overcautious. :whistle: