Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkey

Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our local Costco had a post-Thanksgiving special on fresh turkeys :woohoo: so we picked up a 12 pound bird to cook up this weekend. I am going to spatchcock it and I am looking for some insight into how much time to expect for the cook for planning purposes (my wife's pet peeve is that we always eat too late!). So, what to eggsperts have to say?

Thanks

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tom,

I've done a couple but can't remember the exact time/pound. I think it was seven or eight minutes. About an hour and a half for a 12 lb bird. I usually put the legs to the back of the egg because it is hotter back there.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Have done several and Steve is right on as my birds have worked out.
    I do direct - high on adj rig, skin side up, and never turn over about 375.
    I really like this rub:

Kona hard to find, use expresso ground fine instant.
    VERY GOOD on Turkey.... done many times, just ask MainEgg..

Rub, Kona Coffee, Hungry Man
    INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup ancho-chili powder
    1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Kona coffee
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    1/4 cup ground black pepper
    Procedure:
    1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I did one last year and it was great.

turkey_111509P1020469.JPG
    Spatchcocked Turkey

I cooked it indirect at 350°F with a drip pan on the inverted plate setter. The 14 pound bird took almost exactly 2 1/2 hours, so figure about 10 minutes per pound.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    please post pics... i'll be on the edge of my seat waiting ;-)
    context is important :)
  • Thanks Steve,

My first guess based on my experience with spatchcock chicken was 90 minutes. I am assuming that you do yours direct.

Tom

Tom

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Thanks Mickey,

That rub sounds real good ... too bad that the better half does not like coffee nor something too spicey :angry: . I am thinking of putting some herbed butter under the skin of the turkey and spice rub of some sort on the skin itself.

Tom

Tom

• Davekatz,

OMG ... that bird looks to die for :evil: Thanks for the advice.

Tom

Tom

• LDD

I will be sure to take some pictures and post the results. I sure do hope it turns out ok :unsure: !

Tom

Tom

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tom,

Raised direct around 375*

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Thanks - it was a great tasting bird.

This year I'm going to try spatching it and then remove the hind quarters. That way I can cook the breast to just 160°F, pull it, and then take the legs and thighs to 180°F or better.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • I have spatchcocked a couple T-Birds - I did them indirect at 400 and from memory they were done in 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours

This one was over a tray of veggies
    IMG_0194800x600.jpg

This one started falling apart so I separated it - the legs/thighs were done before the breast - go figure
    IMG_2630800x600.jpg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Tom buy a couple of turkey leggs or the next time you spatchcock a chicken try that rub. No coffee taste and not real spicy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey

Great suggestion ... I am always up for something new.

Tom

Tom

• Dave,
    Try the ice on the breasts trick suggested by Mad Max. Not reason it wouldn't work on a spatchcock and make the breasts and legs be done about the same time.
  • mcook
    mcook Posts: 14
    What size egg in the photos?

Many thanks,

M. Cook