Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Cook on my New Large EGG

chocdocchocdoc Posts: 456
edited 12:10AM in EggHead Forum
Well technically not my first - this was the demo egg I used at Nieggarafest - but it's the first time I've been able to cook on it since I got it home.

5082084317_0eafc2a906.jpg
DSCN1542 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Butternut squash, cooked direct at 350º F for about an hour.

5082084351_37bab44cfd.jpg
DSCN1543 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Potatoes - rubbed with duck fat and kosher salt, baked direct for about an hour

5082084417_b0f71715c4.jpg
DSCN1548 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Large capon, spatchcocked, salted, let sit in fridge uncovered for several hours. Direct for about 75 minutes.

Tasted a little like the fuel in spite of being added well after the pope was elected (ie the right coloured smoke coming out of the Egg)

5082677566_cbaefc8624.jpg
DSCN1540 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream (about a pound of butter in the buttercream). Hubbies birthday tomorrow - a cake was called for!

Comments

• ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,483
    I would kill fidel with my bare hands for a piece of that cake
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Yummy Kerry!!
    I've been waiting for your chocolate.... ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Yummy! Looks good! How was the squash from the egg?

Peter's birthday is coming up so if you can share the cake recipe with me I know he would appreciate it ;)
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,789
    You would kill Fidel for a Klondike bar
  • chocdocchocdoc Posts: 456
    Newby Chickster wrote:
    Yummy! Looks good! How was the squash from the egg?

Peter's birthday is coming up so if you can share the cake recipe with me I know he would appreciate it ;)

Squash was excellent - sprinkled with a little maple sugar and butter. Actually I think you gave me that maple sugar.
    cookn biker wrote:
    Yummy Kerry!!
    I've been waiting for your chocolate.... ;)

Here's some chocolate for you Molly -

5082147303_abd1feb0af.jpg
    DSCN1133 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr
  • I love how the heart chocolates in the tray below kinda look like pebbles in a pond under the chocolate fishies! Very cute!
    there are many sweet treats that could move me to violence towards fidel, I can't have a single jelly bean with out getting pissed at him
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,789
    Speaking of harming evil dictators and innocent animals, how is Duke?
  • Haha love the Pope being elected analogy!
  • That looks great. I bet you were busy. I have a large and absolutely love it. I think it would be alot of fun to cook at a eggfest. I plan on it next year.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Congratulations, great looking eats.

GG
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Great post, I love butternut squash but, lets cut to the chase I want some of that cake and let Zippy and Fidel fight it out. :woohoo:
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    Correction - you would attempt to kill fidel with your bare hands. Then when you finally recovered and got your dentures/implants completed you would enjoy said cake.
    Fidel wrote:
    Correction - you would attempt to kill fidel with your bare hands. Then when you finally recovered and got your dentures/implants completed you would enjoy said cake.

Might be a little stale by the time that happens!

What is this 'subtle' antipathy I sense?
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    I'm zippy's jilted lover. He left me for stike.
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    ChocDoc, now I'm hungry, everything looks great. :) I seems to recall you cooking up a storm on the fest pics, as well.

My family prefers capon to turkey. I loved the veggies, but that chocolate cake looks divine!!! :)
  • LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    that all looks great!

what did you do with the squash? soup?

mmmm... chocolate cake
    context is important :)
    provided I am adequately incentivized, perhaps a large zagnut bar, I will rip your lips off & feed them back to you, now step off before you get hurt
  • Great job. This gives me hope.