Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dual 10lb briskets

Options
CYarb
CYarb Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking for 20 Saturday afternoon and want to EGG two 10lb (trimmed weight) briskets. I understand cook to temp/fork twist test, etc. but for planning purposes I was using 20 hours. That seems long to me. If they are done faster, how long can they sit when wrapped in foil and in a cooler? Thanks and any other advice is appreciated.

Comments

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    JMO but 20 hours is too long. Although, they're done when they're done. If flats, which sounds like they are, then I would foil at internal meat temps of 160 to a finished internal temp of 190+. A packer I would NOT foil. Keep fire temps to about 225 and remember smoke intake is done at or around internal meat temps of 140.

They should be okay in a cooler for several hours. Especially, if it's a Cambro or commercial cooler. You can always use some piping hot beef broth to pour over the rested slices of brisket.
  • CYarb
    CYarb Posts: 6
    Options
    Appreciate that. No, they are both packers, I just selected some of the smaller, more flexible. Is 15 hours at dome temp of 250 a better time frame for planning purposes? Thanks
  • BYC
    Options
    Depends on how much trimming you did. I don't trim packers at all but that's just me. I would start watching internal temps at about 180 knowing that 15 hours would be about right. I stopped using dome temp as a gauge but rather run a probe to the top of the meat, which is more in line with grate temps. Regardless, for brisket I would try and keep dome temps down to about 235. At least for the first 8 hours or so.

Happy Cookin'!
  • BYC
    Options
    No clue why this posted more than once---sorry!
  • BYC
    Options
    Post pics when finished please!
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    Options
    If they don't touch each other so that the heat can fully circulate around both of them, it doesn't take much/any longer to cook two 10-pounders than it does to cook one. I'd guess 12-15 hours. I typically cook to temperature of, say, 185, then wrap in foil, drop in a cooler and rest for at least an hour and often longer.