Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

WARNING FOR GRANITE TOP EGG TABLES!

SmokinSoCalSmokinSoCal Posts: 145
edited 10:43AM in EggHead Forum
Table was installed last week as many of you know. I used a 27"inch cutout when BGE said to go with a 26 1/4" Didn't even matter. Cooked pizza tonight in the 550-600 range and table cracked on both sides. Infrared Gun showed table at 280 degrees 30 mins after I shut the egg down. Granite sits on 3/4" Plywood and is epoxy'd to the plywood. At least the table will always stay in one piece.....

photokor.jpg

Comments

• Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Smokin': That SO sucks! :( Doesn't look to be much of an air gap between the Egg and the granite though. Do you have the Egg elevated from the bottom at all? Didn't catch the pics from last week. But seriously, it SO sucks about the counter top! :(
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    Sorry about that! Even with granite under the egg, you need to put the feet under the egg.
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    OHHHHH :pinch: :( so sorry ..... looks like it is a beautiful table though.
  • LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    Sorry to see that about the table.

BobS wrote:
    Sorry about that! Even with granite under the egg, you need to put the feet under the egg.

I thought that the BGE recommends not using the feet with the XL? I don't think they ship feet with the XL. (I may be wrong about that)

I'm guessing this is an XL given the 26.25" diameter.
    context is important :)
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    The same thing happened to mine.
  • NC-CDNNC-CDN Posts: 703
    Sorry. That sucks. You can likely buy some type of flooring filler or maybe they have something like that for stone countertops to fill the crack and make it near invisible. Good luck.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,973
    SmokinSoCal,

That is bad news. I am just about to order my granite. Did you use it for any cooks below 400* Just wondering how hot I could go without damage. Canadian winter bothers me a bit too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    Well, I'd say the crack just might have been there before. I cant see the heat casuing that kind of crack. I dont know if I would have used epoxy, it is not forgiveable. When my granite top was put down in my kitchen, they used a specical adhesive that was flexible, like silicone, this would allow for the granite to expand and contract during different temps. This looks like a stress crack, but more like a bend or flex. I would think over heating whould chip or flake on granite. 3/8" all around is not much of a gap.
  • Here are some more photos. The piece is 5" wide at the crack point. On the right side of the table it's 7.5" wide with no crack. Back side is 5" wide and it cracked as well. Just a heads up. To me it's like a scratch on a new car. Now, I'm not so worried about "using" it.

dsc0743c.jpg
    dsc0744y.jpg
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Hopefully you will be fine from here on out. Tim :)
  • rsmdalersmdale Posts: 2,472
    Shad sorry to hear about the crack I really like the table.I have the same granite in the house.Think of the crack like a wife it adds character(Just don;t tell your wife I said that.)

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    I always wondered about the tables with the limited cut outs...that is why I built mine with a full square opening; fear of adjacent heat/temperatures.

As for the crack...the pool supply companies sell a clear liquid crack filler, it is thinner than water and seeks out the cracks in cement and other porus elements, it might work. I'd check into that application for the granite, it might keep it from flaking later. Just a thought.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    That is correct, but this has nothing to do with the feet.
  • larrydlarryd Posts: 44
    I really liked the table when you posted the pics, showed the wife hinting about it. Excuse my pun but now you can say it's broken in!
  • RRPRRP Posts: 18,937
    Ken Y. is that you?
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • Ken Y????