Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HOT Sauce!!

Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for a recipe for some hot sauce. I like heat, but not without flavor. So, flavor is important. Can anyone help?? Thanks!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Doug, lookout, your gonna have a stampede on this one. There are some blistering hot sauces out there. And if your interested in making your own, check down the post to my "Another Saucy Post" for the best recipes on the internet, and I think YB also posted one down the Threads.
    And there are more..Good Luck! Bob Gibsons sauce also has been mentioned. Smokin Daves has a hot one. And there are some that will cause you to have a tongue transplant..:-)
    Cheers...
    C~W[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Doug,[p]I received the "Hot Sauce Lovers Kit" as a grab bag gift at a Christmas party last year. The kit includes several recipes if you want to make some hot sauce from scratch. One recipe is called "If You Can't Stand the Heat" and is rated a "10" on their scale. While I understand that these scales are highly subjective (one person's 10 is another's 2), I have a strong feeling that this person's 10 is pretty darn hot. He rates some sauces that I thought were silly hot as midrange 4's or 5's and I think his 10's are in the Dave's Insanity Sauce neighborhood (not as hot as Dave's, but probably in the same neighborhood...probably down the block or something...).[p]Anyway, the basis for the really hot one are 4 tabascos, 4 orange habaneros, 1 cup white vinegar, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 tsp ginger, and 1/2 tsp allspice. The basic process is to trim and blanch the peppers, being VERY careful not to inhale the vinegar steam, then mix the ingredients in a food processor, pour, then "label explicitly."[p]The whole "label explicitly" thing kinda scared me away since while I have a pretty decent tolerance for hot foods, I'm no masochist.[p]Anyway, I can provide more details if interested or you might want to purchase the kit yourself. It comes with the book, the recipes, some seasonings common to hot sauces, some seeds for various hot peppers, and tools such as small funnels and some cool little hot sauce bottles.[p]J Appledog and Jobu are two posters on this forum who know WAY more about hot sauces than me so maybe they'll chime in.[p]Hope this helps,
    Cornfed

• Char-Woody
    Cornfed, whew....that one is so hot it's burning holes in my screen...Yippers...I walked past Daves super hot stuff and took the regular for a test run today.
    Tomorrow I shove the Grumman Sport Canoe in the water,,Walleyes lookout.
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Char-Woody,[p]
    All the talk about Gun-Locks and 2nd ammendment rights etc these daus makes me think they are missing one. [p]I think they should classify those habaneros as deadly weapons. Wow, those monsters are deadly on my intestinal system. Back in my 20's I could wolf down that stuff - I still can but I suffer so the next day. Good luck to all you iron stomachs out there - I envy you.[p]Tim

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Doug,[p]Theres a great book out called the Hot Sauce Bible? I think. Its a paperback book that has some pretty good recipes in it for sauces, ketchup, and other things made from tomatoes and peppers. Might do a search on Amazon or if interested give me a holler and I'll pickup the information from home for you. I agree with Tim M though, those Habeneros are death. A neighbor grew them one year, gave me a jar of them and I made some salsa with about a half of one of them and it was still amazingly hot. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Tim M, when I see flames on the bottle..I am carefull...Someday, someone is gonna have Nitro Sauce!
    :-)
    C~W
    (Bet NB is first)

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Tim M,[p]Aw c'mon, hot peppers are good for ya and I never met one that I didn't like. Well maybe once. There was a time when after a few barley pops or mint juleps and on a dare, I took a big old bite out of a red savina habanero (500-600k scoville). It was truly one of life's significant emotional events and I couldn't breathe for 20 minutes. These are great to have on hand for parties. Usually, about the time the first beer ball is gone, the boys start bragging that they can handle even the hottest peppers. hehehe[p]pepper.gif

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Char-Woody,
    One of my many jobs was to make nitro for gun powder. Boy, does it give you a headache!![p]Tim

• Char-Woody
    Tim M , why did you leave? I think working in a Nitro Plant would be a blast!! oooooooh...your amazing!!