Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pearl Hot Dogs

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where do you find Pearl Hot Dogs? I hope it's a national chain.

Comments

• BigGreenDon
    Options
    They appear to ship:

Pearl Meats

Don
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you need to shop within 30 miles or so of boston and they can still be hard to find. further from that and you would need to have them shipped
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The guy who runs the joint told me that some BJ's on the east coast carried them. Don't know which ones.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Hi Patty. Ask for Peggy O'Neil at 1-800-462-3022. She is the Controller and is the only one(as far as I know)that handles credit card orders. They should be back to shipping second day air now that the weather has cooled off. The 1/4 "frankfurters" will run you about $8.50/lb after the freight is tacked on.

Mark
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Patty

If your ever going near Canton, OH that looks like the closest BJ's to you. Last I knew BJ's was carrying them, even here in Fort Myers. I have yet to go there but last year talked to them on the phone and they had them and were willing to give me a courtesy pass to shop their store (minus the member discount).

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    actually, Mark, it's more of a combination of weight and distance. For instance the last time I ordered I was able to get the "cheaper HA HA HA" 2nd day delivery. Then since I doubled my order to 20 pounds there was just a slight incremental increase in shipping cost over 10 pounds thus bringing my per pound cost in at $8 a pound shipped out here to Illinois.
    IMG_0839.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    It's ok Ron. :whistle: The next time I call, I'm gonna tell 'em that it's RRP on the phone and to just use the same credit card I used the last time, but since I've moved, to ship to my new address in PA. :laugh:
  • RRP
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously I hope that Patty, you and everybody else who orders from Peggy O'Neil mentions the BGE and how Pearl's are discussed on this board. Who knows...maybe someday they will offer a discount to eggers when they realize we are promoting their product!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    My brother lives in Boston and never bought Pearl's until I told him to. I requested we have Pearl's 1/4# franks when we went to visit over the Summer. They are the best hot dogs I've ever eaten.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have two family members, my son and a sister that live in Boston and make the trip home often enough to keep me supplied. If you lived closer I would be able to hook you up. That shipping is a killer.
  • Grill Sergeant
    Options
    PattyO, I have never tried a "pearl" hot dog. I have had Hebrew National Hot Dogs and think they are as good as any I have tried. They now make a 1/4 pounder, 4 to the pack which I have bought at a local Kroger store.
  • RRP
    Options
    I can buy Hebrews at Kroger - trust me - Hebrews don't hold a candle to Pearl's!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Ron, you and I should get commission checks! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i think fishless was the one to pimp these things first....

you will need to kick a cut of your take upstairs to him.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Okay by me. Nuthin' from nuthin' is nuthin'. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    Items: $26.45
    Shipping (FedEx (Standard Overnight)): $31.70
    Cold container packaging: $11.00
    Subtotal: $69.15

HOLY SCHNIKIES, 70 bucks for a 5lb pack of hot dogs. I dont care how good they are, that is just plain wrong.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Cheaper than flyin to Boston. ;) :laugh: Besides,if you went there you may run into STIKE!!! :ohmy: :woohoo: :blink: ;)
  • RRP
    Options
    go back and reprice it for 20 pounds! Just 5 pounds is silly!...you'll be glad I challenged you to do this!
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    So RRP,....what would 20lb's run me? (Approximately)

Items....................................... ??
    Shipping (FedEx)standard overnight..."around $30.00"
    Cold container packaging............."around $11.00"

I'm thinking seriously about calling them up for a quote, but just want to "get ready" for the sticker shock. :huh:
  • stike
    Options
    no kidding.

the price of the hotdogs isn't high, it's the fact that the guy wants them tomorrow, delivered cold. :laugh:

when i send my parents a lobster (when the winter in florida), the price of the lobster is essentially retail, even LESS than retail. then there's the expense of Fed-Ex, who delivers it live the next day. two totally different things.

one wallet, though, sure. :ohmy:
  • stike
    Options
    i like pearls, man, sure. but rather than throw money at it, make yer own hot dogs. cheaper and better. ;)
  • RRP
    Options
    I see you live in Oregon so I don't have a clue. You'll have to call Peggy. I just know in my case that the cost of shipping 20 pounds was only slightly higher than shipping 10 pounds. That was my basis of suggesting that incurring the cost to only buy 5 pounds was the problem. Incrementally the per pound cost goes down dramatically the more you buy.
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    go back and reprice it for 20 pounds! Just 5 pounds is silly!...you'll be glad I challenged you to do this!

Item : $99.80

Shipping (FedEx (Standard Overnight)): $63.84
    Cold container packaging: $11.00
    Subtotal: $174.64

That is still in the Holy Schnikies range. Comes to 8.70 a pound. Easier to handle, but still too much. I have 3 kids who love hot dogs. You know how long they would last? I would have to freeze them and hide them..... BTW. this is shipping to MD
    I would love to try them though.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Check BJ's. Some on the east coast carry them and even if you aren't a member, I think you can still buy (+5% surcharge) with a visitor pass.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    Thanks - your two posts proved my point. The cost of the franks and the cold packing stays stable, but the variable is in shipping.
    5 pounds is $31.70 while 20 pounds is barely over just double.

On another note though I watched "How Do They Make That" last night on Discovery channel and one segment was on making skinless wieners. One thing that caught my attention was the statement that it was predetermined what spices would be added to the meat based on what part of the country the batch was to be shipped to - due to regional taste preferences! So if that is true about other producers I wonder if the Pearl's Franks taste so much better to me since they are spiced differntly than what fellow mid-western consumers supposedly prefer!

Like the old saying in business an expert is just a normal guy more than 500 miles from here!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I happened to notice this post (because I love hot dogs) so I checked my local BJs in Woodstock, Ga. No Pearls, but they had Kayem natural casing dogs. Also from Boston. Not sure if they are comparable.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.