Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib

golffer
golffer Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When one goes to a resturant and orders prime rib, and you get a 3/4" slice that looks like it was cut from a roast what cut of meat are they using?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    standing rib roast, sometimes called ribeye or delmonico roast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    should also mention because its confused alot that prime is in reference to the better rib sections,not better meat quality. a prime rib can be choice meat which is actually what i like, i dont want all the fat that you would find in a prime cut prime rib
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the prime rib.

sorry, couldn't resist.
    they are cutting it (or should be) from a rib roast, boneless or bone in.

quality varies. keep in mind that "prime" has NOTHING to do with the grade of meat. a select rib roast may legally be sold as "Prime Rib". prime in this case predates the grading system. people referred to that chunk of moo as a "prime cut of beef" before "prime" was a USDA grade
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Meatchart-5.jpg

Here is a visual of what fishlessman mentioned, the standing rib roast is #1 in the Rib section of this chart. Standing rib means bone-in, the roast can be boneless too.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Thanks for all the help. I realize it will vary greatly but what should this cut sell for...$8.00 - $10.00/lb?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    golffer,

That is not far off the price but it is on sale in our area now for $3.99-$4.99. That is canada AAA which is the next down from Prime

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it's a roast that can be cut into rib eye steaks.
    whatever the steaks sell for in your area, the roast might be a little less per pound
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    They go on sale locally at my favorite market for %5.99 - $6.99 per pound. Canadian Beef, but I don't know the grade. All I know is that I've never cooked a bad one and they are always better than restaurant cooking (thank you, BGE).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA