Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egghead in Need of Assistance!

HEATHERD
HEATHERD Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello!

I'm a new EggHead and becoming a bit obsessed with the BGE but struggling with getting the temp to 600 degrees for pizzas.

Also, I find that in my three recipes I've tried on the BGE the food seems to take longer to cook than the recipe recommends.

Any insight on what I may be doing incorrectly on both counts?

THANKS, SO MUCH!
Heather

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    You don't need 600..but you can shoot for that depending on the pizza style....light the egg and put the plate setter and pizza stone in it, and give it at least an hour...more like an 1 1/2 hours...make sure the firebox is aligned with the lower vent and you have a full load...to the top of the firebox...of lump...and the ash grate is cleared of old lump...
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Heather D: First, welcome to the forum. Honestly, you should spend some time in here, reading recipes, and watching the things that people post. You will learn a TON! ;) We've always been happy with pizza at the 525-550 range, but there is always a lot of debate on that. Remember with this forum, there are many "correct" ways to cook the same item on the Egg, but some have a preferred method, as you will discover as yours as your adventure continues.
    Also, instead of guessing, come to the forum first, and do a quick search on what you are cooking. If you don't get enough info there, post your question. You will likely get a response within a few minutes. It's a lot easier asking before the cook, then when it is already doomed...lol.
    Again, welcome, and you will find more info that you ever imagined here. There are many many extremely talented cooks here. And all info provided, will obciously, be Egg friendly.
    Did a quick search for you on pizza temps as an example....2765 hits.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?searchword=pizza+temps&dtstart=0&dtrange=0&orderby=score&pagelength=50&returnfirst=0&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=search

Welcome again! :)
  • WessB
    You'd be amazed what I learned this past weekend cooking 6 pizzas at the DC metro fest...played around with an infrared thermometer on the stone and platesetter...I felt like a rookie..wont ever cook pizza without it again..literally saw 780° on the platesetter and 585 on the stone..and the dome never went above 550..
  • triehle98
    triehle98 Posts: 208
    Welcome to the forum! just a random bit of advice but make sure that your dome thermometer is calibrated (should read 210-212F when placed in boiling water) I cook my pizza between 450-500F
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    425-450 is what I cook mine to as well with pizza. Recipes tend to take longer on the Egg for me as well. One has to remember its still a grill. A lot of times for me at least I'll start cook'en before it completly stabalizes so my start temps will not be quite up to snuff. Welcome aboard!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Heather welcome to our world. Glad to have you join us.
    Where are you from?
    Keep in mind we like pictures :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    You might want to check your thermometer to verify it is reading right.

For not getting to temp, check your firebox alignment. The hole should line up with the bottom vent to maximize airflow. You'll also get higher temps with a full load of lump fully ignited. New folks sometimes think in briquette terms and don't put enough lump in.
  • Welcome to the cult.

I don't know anything about your setup, so I'll just tell you what I do and if any of it's helpful, then good!

I find that new lump gets hotter faster than used lump, but used lump is ready to cook on right away. With new lump you should allow about 20 minutes for the smoke to clear before you cook on it. Sniff it and when the smoke smells good, it should be ok to cook on. if you're re-using some lump, make sure you stir it with the ashtool before lighting. this helps the ash that's accumulated on the lump to fall thru the grate. otherwise the ash will deter the combustion of the lump. Lack of airflow due to ash buildup and/or clogging vent holes is the #1 impedement to reaching hot temps.

What I do for 600* pizza:

1) For the entire cook I leave the daisy/DFMT completely off. set it aside, you don't need it for this cook.

2) load lump up to about the top of the firebox

3) light the starters, leaving the vent and the whole dome open until the starters have burned up, then close the dome (leaving the vent wide open)and watch the temp rise.

4) at about 300/350 I put the platesetter in, legs down, put 3 flat stones on the PS to act as spacers and set the Pizza stone on top of the stones. You can use balls of aluminum foil as spacers, if that's easier.

5) then just watch the temp and when you get within 50 degrees of your target, adjust your vent door to the desired opening for your target temp. if you don't know what that would be, I can tell you that on my LBGE (using Royal Oak Lump), the door is open about 1.1/2" to hit 500, so adjust yours accordingly. Some lump burns faster/hotter while others burn slower and take longer to get up to temp.

6) once it settles in to your desired temp, let it set for at least 15 minutes to make sure the P-stone is heated and the fire is burning clean. If it's been sitting longer, it's a good idea to give the stone a light wiping with a damp towel.

7) put pizza on!

This isn't the only way to do it, it's just what works for me. Everyone has their own preferred way to do things.

It's easier to do it than to write it (or read it :laugh: )
  • Wess,
    Not to go Off Topic (well I guess I am meaning to a little) do you know what make/model IR thermometer you used?
    -Eddie
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Heather, Welcome to the forum. :) Tim

Keep coming back and you will see a difference in your food. ;)
  • Welcome Heather!!! There is a ton of information and amazingly helpful people here. Good luck with your hunt for the perfect pie!!
    -Eddie
  • I'm still a rookie but I found the main thing to remember is to wait until there is no more white smoke (just clear smoke) before you put the pizza on. I got that advise from this forum. The first pizza I cooked tasted like I pulled it out of a burning building. The next one was great
  • WessB
    I have a Raytek RayngerST that I picked up on craigslist, it's more of commercial model and not the cheapest out there either...I would suspect the smaller units available today would probably work just as well in the case of pizza cooking..using the IR I made sure I didn't add another pie until the stone was back to 500 or better.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    "You'd be amazed what I learned this past weekend cooking 6 pizzas at the DC metro fest...played around with an infrared thermometer on the stone and platesetter...I felt like a rookie..wont ever cook pizza without it again..literally saw 780° on the platesetter and 585 on the stone..and the dome never went above 550..."

just curious wess, what do you believe will be the utility of the infrared thermometer in future pizza cooks? Assuming you've been consistent in your set-up & preheat times, it is likely that your stone & plate setter temps have always been in the 585-780 range with a 550 dome temp. If you have been getting good results with 550 dome, what difference does it make what the stone temp is?

By the way, it wasn't me that stole you infrared thing at tiki fest next month :laugh:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Welcome to the forum.

You didn't mention how you are lighting the egg so I will share some basic information which may be of help.

When loading your lump make sure the holes in the fire grate are not blocked or clogged with small pieces of lump.

For a hotter temperature light the lump about 1" down into the lump. Light in 5 places. 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock as well as center. When lighting around the center light a little over half way to the outside from center.

Lighting deeper into the lump bed will help in getting to a higher temperature quicker.

You can reach high temperatures with new or used limp with a heavy load of lump or with a light load of lump (lump loaded to the holes in the fire grate or loaded up to the top of the fire box).

Heat = Fuel + Oxygen. Most of the time when folks can't get the egg temperature up or there is a long time to get the egg to a higher temperature it is due to a lack of oxygen flow in through the lower vent and up through the lump bed. A "Wiggle Rod" helps in these cases.

Here is a link that may be of help FAQ's, Tips & Useful Information

Again welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your egg.

GG
  • WessB
    LOL...I will be guarding it...the difference was I actually waited a lot longer to put the first pie on and longer in between as well..I cooked one again last night, at one hour, my normal time to put the pie on...the stone was just over 400, at 1 1/2 hours it was right at 515, I didn't bother checking the platesetter, I was only cooking 1 pizza so stone temp was all I was concerned with....This was also my first experience with caputo 00, did a 50/50 mix with high gluten, resulted in a stretchier dough and also made a bigger pie for some reason..
  • Heather,

Welcome to the forum and to the eggsperience, a wealth of great advice above. Always ask questions and please post pictures. Glad to have you as part of the family.

Cheers,

John

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Thanks - helped a lot!
  • Thanks, very helpful!
  • WessB
    I'll stick with what is working for me now..only one heat barrier severly limits the consistency..and I don't want to dance...